Rum and Raisin Cupcakes – a Boozy Bake for Old Time’s Sake
These rum and raisin cupcakes are a delicious, but rather boozy bake. They’re reminiscent of Old Jamaica, a chocolate rum and raisin flavoured bar from my childhood. I used to save up my pocket money so I could occasionally indulge in what seemed to be a highly sophisticated treat at the time.
I have a jar of raisins soaking in rum permanently on the go, but as the jar hides at the back of the cupboard, I keep forgetting about it. When I saw a recipe for rum and raisin cupcakes in Primrose Bakery Christmas, I was instantly reminded.
This was the 4th bake for a friend’s event two years ago. I’ve just discovered the post in my draft folder – I think I may have a few more. Luckily I wrote the recipe down at the time, or it would remain forever forgotten. I’ve already posted about the mini chocolate surprise cakes, the dairy and gluten free lemon and almond coconut cakes and the apple crumble cakes with custard buttercream that I also baked for the event.
For these rum and raison cupcakes, I used my standard mini cupcake recipe. It has stood the test of time. In true cupcake style, the cakes are topped with buttercream, but a buttercream doused in rum. For this reason, it’s probably best to keep these cakes as adult only fare. All of the cakes went down very well, but I do remember that these were a particular favourite.
- 100g raisins soaked in 50 ml of dark rum or more, for as long as possible.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs (I use duck eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 75g wholemeal flour
- 75g plain white flour
- 40 ml of rum from the soaked raisins
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time together with the vanilla extract and salt.
- Sift in the flour and gently stir until just mixed.
- Drain the raisins and stir in the rum, followed by the raisins themselves (reserving 24 for decorating purposes).
- Divide the mixture between 24 mini muffin moulds and bake at 180℃ for about 15 minutes or until the cakes are risen and golden,
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the butter together with half the sugar.
- Beat in the rum, then the remaining sugar.
- Continue to beat until lightly whipped, then spread over the cakes.
- Top with a rum soaked raisin.
- Makes 24 mini cupcakes or 12 large ones.
I’m sharing these mini rum and raisin cupcakes with Treat Petite over at The Baking Explorer.
These bakes also go to Bake of the Week with Mummy Mishaps and Casa Costello.
And I’m also sending them to #CookBlogShare which is with Easy Peasy Foodie this week.
Rum and Raisin Cupcakes. PIN IT.