Orange and Strawberry Chocolate Cake
I had some strawberries and I had a birthday cake to make, so following the path of least resistance, I combined the two. Couldn’t easily find a chocolate cake recipe using strawberries, so I made this one up.
- Melted 100g dark chocolate flavoured with orange and spices (I used Co-op’s Fairtrade, but I expect Maya Gold would work really well).
- Creamed 200g butter with 200g light muscovado sugar.
- Mixed in chocolate and 3 duck eggs
- Stirred in 200g flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 white spelt) and 1 tsp baking powder
- Stirred in 3 tbsp milk
- Divided mixture into 2 23cm cake thingies (smaller ones would have been better, but I only have a single one at 21 cm) and baked for 25 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
- Washed a punnet of strawberries and left to drain.
- Selected 8 of the best looking strawberries and sliced the remainder into a bowl.
- Stirred in 1 tbsp orange liqueur and a sprinkling of caster sugar.
- Whipped 200ml double cream & combined with strawberries.
- Used this to sandwich the two cakes together, then sifted some icing sugar over the top of the cake and decorated with the selected strawberries cut into halves.
The result was delicious. The strawberry and orange combination worked well, the two flavours complementing each other. The cake was not so rich or sweet that it impinged on the fruity creaminess of the filling. I shall definitely be making this one again.