Chocolate & Almond Fudge Cake – Short & Tweet

Large Cakes | 30th October 2011 | By

After missing out on tasting the Orange and Earl Grey Cake, I desperately wanted to bake an orange cake this weekend. Then I found out that the deadline for the inaugural bake for #shortandtweet had been extended until today and I was able to participate after all. Not only that, but the bake was to be a chocolate one – how could I resist? So very naughtily, I baked an orange cake on Friday, which I will post at some later date and Dan Lepard’s Chocolate and Almond Fudge Cake today.

I don’t feel quite as guilty about this as I should, as I managed to share some of the orange cake with a friend as well as CT and there is still a substantial quantity left. The chocolate cake looks as though it will be a keeper, so we won’t need to eat it straight away – apart from trying a small piece, for the purposes of this post you understand.

Short and Tweet is a new event set up by Evidence Matters. EM responded to a burst of enthusiasm by some of us on Twitter wanting to share our experiences of Dan Lepard’s bakes, following the long awaited publication of Short and Sweet. As this is a weekly challenge, I won’t be able to participate all of the time, but I’m hoping to join in as often as I can.

The guardian recipe is slightly different to the one in the book. The book states 3 medium eggs rather than 4 large ones. Amazingly for me, I pretty much followed the recipe (from the book) as written, with the following exceptions:

• I didn’t have any oatmeal so ground up porridge oats instead
  • I used a hand whisk to beat the egg whites as it really doesn’t take long and saved the faff of getting out the electric beaters.
  • I don’t have a 20 cm round mould so used my 22 cm one, but cooked for the required 40 mins.
  • I decided not to top the cake with double cream as I wanted it to keep for as long as possible, so just scattered grated chocolate over the top.
  • I used 70% dark chocolate from Divine to make the cake and grated some of this first for scattering purposes further down the line, before melting it into the cake mixture.
  • I didn’t put the cake into the fridge – I never have any room in there!
When I have a real need for something warm, comforting, chocolatey and quick, I sometimes make chocolate porridge. Well, the raw mixture of this cake tasted like an enriched and sweeter version of my porridge – I could have happily eaten it just as it was.

However, I managed to hang on until the cake was baked. It could be that I didn’t cook it for long enough as it sank rather dramatically. The top, however came out quite cracked and was well done. It is dense, rich and delicious, but a bit hard to describe. The consistency is sort of somewhere between porridge, mousse and soufflé – firm around the edges but squidgy in the middle, chewy but also soft and melts in the mouth. It’s also very chocolatey, but with all that chocolate and cocoa in it, I guess that is no surprise. I would suggest it’s more of a dinner party cake than  a tea time treat. CT could taste the almonds and commented on how the robust chocolate flavour lingers on the palate. He described it as a cake for all seasons, as it does many things at the same time. With due consideration, he said “this is the thinking man’s chocolate torte”.

Tags: ,

1. Gloria

30th October 2011 at 5:22 pm

Look delicious!!!! love it! gloria

2. Foodycat

30th October 2011 at 5:26 pm

It looks absolutely superb! I think this kind of cake always sinks dramatically – you don’t get the fudgy texture if it doesn’t.

3. Laura@howtocookgoodfood

30th October 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your cake looks so good, the texture is so fudge I am sure the raw mix would be equally delicious!

4. The KitchenMaid

30th October 2011 at 5:35 pm

Chocolate porridge? Do tell! Incredible looking cake, as usual, will add to my list of your bookmarks. And… I love CT, BTW!

5. Carl Legge

30th October 2011 at 5:37 pm

Luverly 🙂 A cake for all seasons indeed, that’s how I categorised it. Deliciously, chocolately I thought without benig too heavy. Good work Choclette 🙂

6. The Caked Crusader

30th October 2011 at 7:02 pm

That last photo really shows off how rich and fudgy the texture is – yum!

30th October 2011 at 7:05 pm

I love it when cakes sink in the middle cause I just know I’m going to get a dense and fudgy texture. Add chocolate to the mix and it may as well have my name written all over it ;0)
    This looks pretty close to the perfect chocolate cake!

8. C

30th October 2011 at 7:19 pm

It looks gorgeous. This is one of the times when I really, really wish I could eat nuts, because there really isn’t any substitute in this kind of cake and I’d love to try it!

9. Karen S Booth

30th October 2011 at 7:33 pm

That looks totally decadent and delicious! I LOVE it when squidgy cakes sink in the middle too!

30th October 2011 at 7:51 pm

Gloria – thank you.

Foodycat – thank you for that – I can walk tall again now 😉 I love dense fudgy cakes too, but they are not to everyone’s taste.

Laura – thank you. I guess it depends if you prefer eating with a spoon or a fork 😉

Lucy – Well, I have to keep some secrets! Thank you for saying such nice things. CT is getting quite a following and I’m trying not to get jealous 😉

Carl – Thanks. Yours is the only other one I’ve seen so far. At least we are in agreement 🙂

CC – I think you might have liked the texture, but I suspect it would be too darkly chocolatey for you?

Chele – did I hear the book might be on your xmas list?

C – if you can eat peanut butter, couldn’t you use ground peanuts?

Karen – thank you. Agree, the sunken bits are usually the best part 😉

11. Working london mummy

30th October 2011 at 8:10 pm

Lovely, I love dense chocolate cake too, and need to get hold of the book ASAP! Also pleasepst chocolate porridge recipe…yum!

12. Mary

30th October 2011 at 8:33 pm

This is a glorious cake and I’d be proud to have it on my table. Cinnamon chips are made by Nestle’s and Hersheys and they can be found with the chocolate chips in my grocery store. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings…Mary

13. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

30th October 2011 at 8:45 pm

Looks particularly unctuous. I’d love a slice right now!!

14. Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

30th October 2011 at 9:18 pm

Oh Yum. Looks amazing.
    I plan to get round to doing a lot of the baking from Short and Sweet so will make this a priority.
    I was sad not to make the first post for Short And Tweet but I will be in with it sometimes. Not every week, though, sadly, like yourself.

15. Torviewtoronto

30th October 2011 at 9:27 pm

yummy looking fudge looks wonderful

16. manu

30th October 2011 at 9:28 pm

Looks so yummy!!

17. Phil in the Kitchen

30th October 2011 at 10:17 pm

This sounds so good. I just love the idea of a porridgey cake – two types of comforting food at the same time.

18. Brownieville Girl

30th October 2011 at 11:38 pm

“Thinking man’s chocolate torte” some accolade!!

Looks wonderful.

19. thelittleloaf

31st October 2011 at 7:57 am

A mixture between porridge, mousse and souffle? Sounds good to me! I am LOVING Short and Sweet at the moment (bar some banana fudge cookies which just tasted too banana-y – unsurprisingly…) and this cake look divine. It’s up there on my list of cakes to make soon.

20. Rhizowen

31st October 2011 at 11:01 am

That chocolate cake looks good and nice. When you cut it, please save me a slice 😉

31st October 2011 at 12:46 pm

I have a recipe for a chocolate porridge cake with oats that I have always meant to try – and now this is another chocolate oat cake I must try – just too many great recipes to tempt me – good on you for joining in – sounds like an interesting event

22. At Anna's kitchen table

31st October 2011 at 2:58 pm

That looks so good! I need this book! :-))

23. Baking Addict

31st October 2011 at 11:22 pm

this looks like my kind of cake – really chocolatey and dense and fudgey…oooh I really want a slice now.

1st November 2011 at 7:21 am

WLM – he he. I don’t have a recipe. I just make porridge – usually with milk for this one, then add dark chocolate at the end and mix it in – sometimes with cinnamon, sometimes without. I don’t usually add sugar, but might put in some honey. It all depends on what I feel like at the time.

1st November 2011 at 7:31 am

Mary – thank you. Those cinnamon chips sound most intriguing.

Dom – have you got your book yet?

Lou – I think EM is going to post up a month’s worth at a time, which makes it a bit easier for us hard pressed working folk 😉

Torview – thank you.

Manu – thank you.

Phil – exactly 😉

BVG – he he, CT sometimes gets delusions of grandeur

Little Loaf – I may be missing something here, but with all of those amazing recipes, why did you go for a banana one if you don’t like them???

Rhizowen – good quote and you might just be in luck.

Johanna – Dan uses oats a lot in his bakes, it’s quite unusual. I’ve made another one with oats in which was completely different to this – no chocolate though.

Anna – it’s a book I would highly recommend.

Baking Addict – it’s breakfast time and I’m trying hard not to indulge 😉

26. Maggie

2nd November 2011 at 12:22 pm

This looks like a decadent cakecumdessert and I think I would enjoy raspberries and a dollop of creme fraiche with mine!

27. Hazel at Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

2nd November 2011 at 2:09 pm

Wow, for a difficult cake to describe I think you’ve done well! It sounds very interesting and quite different from other cakes! I quite like the look of it sunken. I would definitely love to try this!

28. Kath

2nd November 2011 at 5:34 pm

I missed this one first time round. How did I manage that? It looks so deliciously delicious. Thinking man’s chocolate torte indeed! Ha ha. Does that make you the thinking man’s crumpet (or chocolate porridge)?

2nd November 2011 at 7:27 pm

Maggie – you are so right, raspberries would be wonderful with this, though I’d prefer a dollop of clotted cream I think 😉

Hazel – thank you. It’s good to hear someone can make sense out of my muddled ramblings.

Kath – he he. I couldn’t possibly comment 😉

30. Ren Behan

8th November 2011 at 1:48 pm

This cake looks seriously rich and dense! Now I am going to have to make it, definitely bookmarked.

31. Nicola

8th January 2012 at 1:04 pm

Just seen this linked from shortandtweet. Really like the idea of chocolate porridge as comfort food. Definitely giving that a whirl soon…

8th January 2012 at 4:58 pm

Ren – wondering if you’ve made it yet?

Nicola – thanks, I love it 😉