Chocolate Fig and Almond Cake
This is a splendid cake for a special occasion – in fact with all those figs and nuts it would make a good alternative, or an addition, to a Christmas Cake. It wasn’t a special occasion but I felt like making it anyway.
- First of all remembered to take the butter out of the fridge early this morning – most impressed with myself!
- Cut up 5oz dried figs into fairly small pieces and left them in a covered bowl to soak in 3 tbsp of Amaretto for about 4 hours (longer the better I should think).
- Creamed 9oz unsalted butter with 8oz soft brown sugar – for ages – I just grit my teeth and get on with it these days.
- Mixed in 4 duck eggs alternately with 3 1/2 oz sieved wholemeal spelt flour.
- Stirred in 3oz ground almonds
- Finally mixed in figs and Amaretto
- Spooned this into a 23cm round cake tin then dusted top with 2 tbsp cocoa
- Arranged 3 1/2 oz whole peeled almonds on top of cake.
- Baked at 175°C (gas 4) for 40 mins.
If you are after a chocolate fix, this is not the cake for you. The Green & Black’s recipe I took this from included 7oz chopped dark chocolate, but I decided to give this a miss as I thought it would detract from the figgy nuttiness of it all. How right I was, this is a totally delicious cake and it would have been less so with the addition of chocolate. The dusting of cocoa on the top was enough to make it onto this blog.