Chilli Pie – Raw Chocolate

Chocolate Reviews | 13th April 2011 | By

Rather late in the day I know, but I loved the wrapper of this so much, it took me a while to get around to eating it. It was actually a Christmas present, but it wasn’t until the end of February that I decided to savour the contents. It’s a shame I didn’t write up about it at the time as recollections are already starting to dim.

There were a few simple ingredients, all raw: Cocoa Nibs (14.2%), Chilli (1.3%), Coconut butter, Agave nectar, Golden raisins, Lucuma powder, Carob flour, Ground almonds. The wrapper proudly states, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Guilt Free – who could resist?

This was very different in texture to any other raw chocolate bars I’ve tried, which is probably why they’ve called it a pie.  There was a nice crunch of cocoa nibs and I could taste the carob – it was quite delicious. Like all delicious things, it was over far too soon. A word of warning, however: you need to be a chilli lover to enjoy this particular bar, oops pie, as it’s very hot. As a chilli lover, I did.

Handmade in St Ives, Cornwall by Living Food, this bar and other flavours actually are available at our very own Taste Cornwall in Liskeard.

1. Astra Libris

13th April 2011 at 5:27 pm

Ooooh, this looks amazing! I just love raw cacao nibs – sprinkled over vanilla yogurt, they are my current favorite “healthy” dessert… 🙂

2. Kath

14th April 2011 at 8:36 am

I must try raw chocolate. It looks like a hefty slice of pie!

3. Suelle

14th April 2011 at 8:47 am

This sounds amazing – but how can it be called sugar-free when it adds agave nectar?

14th April 2011 at 5:49 pm

Astra Libris – I have cocoa nibs in muesli but not yet over yogurt. Sounds like a nice idea.

Kath – it was only 60g so not that hefty, but it was quite dense and chunky and a little went a long way.

Suelle – you are probably right. There is some controversy over this and agave syrup may well have high amounts of fructose in it. Here’s one person’s opinion – http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

5. C

14th April 2011 at 6:12 pm

Looks like a really interesting chocolate product. I must try raw chocolate and generally be more adventurous in my chocolate eating – I tend to stick to my favourite brands and bars…

6. oxslip

14th April 2011 at 7:15 pm

I am sure it was good – because you said so – but nothing like as attractive as the chocolate creations from your own kitchen

15th April 2011 at 6:03 am

C – think how many future favourites might be out there waiting to be discovered 😉

Oxslip – now you are flattering me. Appreciated, if not believed, thanks.

8. mangocheeks

16th April 2011 at 5:26 pm

This looks good to me Choclette, even the packaging. I’d love to get my hands on a bar and try some one day as I’ve never had raw chocolate.

9. Baking Addict

17th April 2011 at 12:34 am

How interesting, I’ve never come across one before.

10. Monica

17th April 2011 at 5:27 am

As a chili lover I have a soft spot for chili chocolate, but have never tried it in the raw. Interesting use of agave and raisins in this chocolate. I imagine it adds a bit of pruney-ness to the flavour? Which to me is a good thing! 🙂

18th April 2011 at 4:09 pm

MangoCheeks – I love the wrapper too. Raw chocolate is certainly worth trying if you can get your hands on some. I would imagine health food shops or wholefood shops might sell it.

Baking Addict – it’s a very different beast to ordinary chocolate but worth trying.

Monica – yes you’re right, it did have a certain pruney quality. I’m a big fan of chilli and have really taken to it in chocolate.

12. Wendy@The Omnivorous Bear

21st April 2011 at 2:26 pm

Now that is something I would love to try… I shall try and get some – it sounds delicious!

23rd April 2011 at 10:48 am

Wendy – it’s not only delicious, but also not bad for you – win win 😉

14. Maya Russell

2nd January 2014 at 11:02 am

I can’t imagine whether this tastes nice or not! I do like chillis but it sounds too hot for me.

15. glennamy

11th July 2014 at 12:25 pm

Never had or heard of raw chocolate, but with chillis sounds amazing!