Well I’ve moved and it’s all very exciting. However, I either can’t find anything or I’ve left whatever it is I need in Cornwall. In the general chaos I’ve pretty much been living on toast. This recipe for curd cheese, honey & walnuts on rye from Wild Honey & Rye by Ren Behan has revolutionised my toast eating.
For my christmas hampers I was looking to make some sort of spiced biscuits that I could cut into stars and possibly decorate. There were several contenders, but I eventually plumped for Polish Spiced Cookies otherwise known as Pierniczki taken from Ren’s aptly named blog Fabulicious Food. These cookies made their way to Vanessa’s Lets Make Christmas event at Fortnum and Mason’s and were most beautifully decorated. I particularly liked this recipe as it used cocoa powder and lots of honey which sounded just right for ChocLogBlog Christmas biscuits. Ren also suggested using rye flour. Although I’m very familiar with rye flour in sourdough bread, I had never used it in sweet baked goods until I recently made Dan Lepard’s rye apple cake. I was completely won over by the wonderful texture this grain gives and was keen to try it again.
- Melted 110g unsalted butter in a small pan with 110g soft brown sugar and 8 tbsp honey (Beech Forest HoneyDew).
- Stirred until combined, then left to cool a little.
- Sieved 225g rye flour and 225g white flour into a bowl with 2 tsp baking powder 2 tbsp cocoa, 2 heaped tsp homemade mixed spice, 1 heaped tsp cinnamon, 1 heaped tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in the butter mixture then broke in a large egg.
- Stirred the mixture together starting from the middle until all incorporated.
- Brought it all together with my hands to form a ball.
- Cut this in two then rolled out (one at a time) to the thickness of about 1/4 cm.
- Cut out about 80 stars and hearts by re-rolling the leftover bits several times.
- Placed them on lined baking trays about a cm apart and baked the first batch for 8 minutes at 200C.
- Sadly, these burnt, so I reduced the temperature to 180C and baked the rest for 7 minutes only.