Simple Orange and Ginger Carrot Salad
A fresh, sweet and zingy salad which is simple to prepare and delicious to eat. It's best made in advance so the carrots can absorb the flavours which makes it perfect picnic and party fare.
Prep Time10 mins
Marinading Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 225 g (8oz) carrots - scrubbed, topped and tailed
- ½ orange - juiced (I used a clementine this time)
- ½ lime - juiced
- walnut sized piece of root ginger - peeled
- 6 spring onions or handful of chives
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used flax seed oil this time)
- pinch fine sea or rock salt
- black pepper - freshly ground
Grate the carrots using a food processor or hand-held grater and place into a large mixing bowl.
Grate in the ginger.
Chop the spring onions or snip the chives and add to the bowl with the remaining ingredients.
Give it a good stir, cover and leave to marinade for 2-12 hours.
If eating carrot skins, which is where many of the nutrients are, it's best to use organic ones to avoid sprays.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.8g | Protein: 1.2g | Fat: 3.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 293mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 5.6g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 0.5mg