Summer Berry Rose Trifle
Chocolate sponge covered with rose infused strawberries, blueberries and raspberries then smothered with custard and cream, this makes for an easy but indulgent summer dessert.
- 12 chocolate madeleines (or sponge of choice)
- 250 g blueberries – washed
- 500 g strawberries – washed and halted or quartered (according to size)
- 250 g raspberries
- 3 tbsp rose syrup (or cordial of choice)
- 3 tbsp rose liqueur (or use substitute with more rose syrup)
- 500 ml custard
- 300 ml double cream
Marinade the strawberries in the rose syrup for an hour if possible. Likewise marinade the blueberries in the rose liqueur for the same amount of time.
Line a trifle bowl or other large round dish with the madeleines or sponge.
Spoon the blueberries and any juice over the sponges, followed by the strawberries so there are distinctive layers of colour.
Pour the custard over the fruit, making sure all are covered.
Whip the cream until peaks form, but take care not to over whip. Spoon over the custard.
Sprinkle the raspberries over the top along with any other sprinkles desired. If you can bear it, leave in the fridge or a cool place to firm up for an hour or so before eating.