Simple to make, these little light cakes hold a tart surprise inside. They work best with red gooseberries for the colour contrast, but would be fine with green.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 200 g (7oz) flour (half wholemeal spelt, half white)
- 60 g ground almonds
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60 g white chocolate – finely grated or ground (I used Mortimer white chocolate couverture powder)
- 130 g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 50 g unsalted butter – melted
- 2 heaped tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial (or rose syrup or lilac syrup)
- 30 small gooseberries – topped & tailed
Sieve the dry ingredients, then stir in the sugar and chocolate.
Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. Add the yogurt, cordial and butter and stir in until just incorporated.
Spoon into mini cupcake moulds filling to about 3/4. Push a gooseberry halfway into each one.
Bake at 180℃ for 20 minutes until well risen and golden on the top. Allow to cool for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Depending on the size of your gooseberries, you might want to make 15 larger cakes instead of 30 small ones. Just use standard cupcake moulds or cases, instead of mini cupcake ones and cook for a few minutes longer.