Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
An easy to prepare blended soup which tastes delicious and is gorgeously colourful, spicy and warming. Serve with bread to make it extra filling.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp flavourless oil I used rice oil
- 1 large onions - roughly sliced
- 4 carrots - roughly chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes - roughly chopped
- 4 ripe medium tomatoes - roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic - peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli seeds removed if you don't like your soup too hot
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- pinch fennel seeds optional
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- salt to taste you may not need any additional salt if your veg stock is already salted
- dash of good quality soy sauce I used tamari
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
Fry the onions and seeds with the oil in a large pan over a gentle heat until the onions start to soften - about 5 minutes.
Add the carrot and sweet potatoes and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, garlic, spices and stock. Cover the pan with a lid, bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
Blitz with a blender until smooth (I used my powerful Optimum Vac2 Air Vacuum Blender).
Pour into bowls and serve.