Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat
Warming and refreshing, this homemade mincemeat is easy to make and can be used in many different ways. Potted into pretty jars, it makes a nice gift.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Soaking Time 1 day 16 hours
Total Time 15 minutes
- 150 g dried figs - chopped
- 150 g mixed raisins sultanas & currents
- 75 g dried fruit of your choice - I used pineapple & jackfruit this year
- 100 g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100 g chopped blanched almonds
- 150 g 70% dark chocolate
- 80 g vegetarian suet
- 1 large cooking apple - peeled cored and diced
- 1 organic lemon - zest and juice
- 10 tbsp ginger wine
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Place all the ingredients into a large bowl, give a good stir and cover.
Leave for as long as you can, stirring once a day. I usually do mine for five days.
If not using immediately, pot into sterilised jars and cover with waxed discs and sterilised lids. The mincemeat should keep well for a year.
The longer you can leave it before eating the better, but it works pretty well as instant mincemeat if you're desperate.