Scrumptious cinnamon flavoured shortbread biscuits made with clotted cream, wholemeal flour and a little chestnut flour. These wholemeal clotted cream shortbread will delight family and friends alike. They make perfect festive gifts too.
Who needs scones when you can have traditional Cornish splits instead? Soft and slightly sweet yeasted bread buns are the perfect vehicle to load up with jam and cream. Please note, jam first, cream on top!
Back in January, I made my first foray into the world of chocolate and scones with these very tasty chocolate chip scones. Subsequently this lovely recipe, originally for Black Forest Scones, was sent to me by Jane Maile. Jane used to run a tearoom in the Cotswolds and these were one of the treats she regularly baked for her customers. In her own words:
Well it took me a while, but I did eventually get around to making them and coincidentally just in time for Celia’s International Scone Week.
I didn’t exactly follow the recipe and used watered down yogurt rather than milk and lemon juice. But the saddest omission was failing to use cherry jam to top the scones, I didn’t have any to hand, so Black Forest would have been a misnomer.
This is how I made them:
- Put 8oz flour (half spelt, half white), 1.5 oz cocoa powder, 1.5 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Added 2oz unsalted butter and cut this into pieces with a knife.
- Rubbed the butter into the flour until the mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
- Stirred in 3oz vanilla (granulated) sugar.
- Broke a duck egg into a measuring jug and topped up to 1/4 pt with a mixture of half yogurt / half water.
- Stirred into the dry ingredients then brought the mixture together with my hands.
- Rolled out on a floured surface to 3/4″ thick and cut into eight 2″ rounds.
- Placed onto a lined baking tin, brushed the tops with milk and baked for 20 minutes at 190C.
It’s Pancake Day, also known as Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras, which is just a fancy way of saying Fat Tuesday. What could be more fattening than pancakes? Well chocolate and cream pancakes filled with 100% cacao, honey and clotted cream?