Your Top 5 Favourite Recipes of 2016 on Tin and Thyme

Top 5 Favourite Recipes of 2016

Roundup Posts | 27th January 2017 | By

It’s been a few years since I did any sort of retrospective on the blog, so before January runs out and the new year excuse has worn any thinner, I thought I’d give you the top 5 favourite T&T recipes of 2016 – according to you, that is.

We food bloggers are a bit obsessed by our stats, but I hope some of you might look beyond the blog-geekery and find this interesting too. I’d love to know if you have a favourite recipe you’ve found on Tin and Thyme. Oh and if you have a recipe you’d like to see on the blog, I’d be interested in hearing that too.

I’ve taken the most popular recipes viewed in 2016, although not necessarily published in that year. Not surprisingly, I guess, all of the favourites are sweet ones. I’m not the only one with a sweet tooth it would seem. So in reverse order to keep you in suspense as to the absolute favourite recipe:

Top 5 Favourite Recipes of 2016

5. Vegetarian Strawberry Blancmange

Strawberry Blancmange

This was my first attempt at making a blancmange. I used agar agar instead of gelatine to make it vegetarian friendly. I made it from a fresh strawberry puree which I didn’t sieve. That was a mistake, so if you make this, do please sieve the strawberries for a super smooth texture.

4. Coconut Bliss Balls

Coconut Bliss Balls

If you ever fancy a healthy sweet treat that tastes as decadent as any chocolate truffle, I urge you to have a go at making these dead easy coconut bliss balls.

3. Sticky Banana Cake

Banana Ginger Cake

Banana and ginger is not an obvious pairing, so I was really surprised to see how popular this post is. It is a most delicious cake though with a lovely sticky texture, so I’m quite pleased its profile has been raised.

2. Raspberry & White Chocolate Flapjacks

Raspberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks

There is no doubt that these flapjacks are really tasty, but I’m not sure why they are one of your top 5 favourite recipes. I’d sort of hope I’ve created quite a few recipes that are more interesting than flapjacks. Do let me know why you think they are so appealing.

1. Rose Syrup & What to Do With It

Rose-Syrup

Who would have thought that rose syrup would be so popular. This post was far and away the most popular last year. Rose syrup is very simple to make and keeps for ages. It has a whole heap of uses, so if you haven’t tried this yet, I urge you to give it a go. The key to getting a deep pink colour and good flavour is to use the petals from a deeply scented dark rose.

For more of your most popular posts, take a look at our Top of the Pops tag.

I’m linking your top 5 favourite recipes of 2016 up to the Best Recipes of 2016 over at The Jenny Revolution. Here you can see a whole host of other food bloggers’ top recipes from last year.

1. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

28th January 2017 at 11:23 am

I think those white chocolate and raspberry flapjacks are rather memorable as are lots of your cakes which always look fabulous and I still want to try your scones with white chocolate!

28th January 2017 at 6:48 pm

Aw, thank you Johanna. You always say the nicest things. I do find it odd the posts that rise to the top. They are rarely the ones you expect.

28th January 2017 at 4:31 pm

How kind of you to gather these recipes together to make them easier to find 😉 So many delicious treats, I need to plant more roses so I can make that Rose Syrup!

28th January 2017 at 6:46 pm

My pleasure Janice 😉 Every farm should have a deep red rose, especially a Scottish farm.

3. Dom

28th January 2017 at 8:32 pm

Balls balls balls. Always balls.

28th January 2017 at 8:43 pm

Not all of them Dom? Surely!

4. Heidi Roberts

28th January 2017 at 9:26 pm

Mmmm banana cake and flapjacks – I have a cup of coffee and could do with those right now!

31st January 2017 at 8:21 am

Me too Heidi, my cake tin is empty which makes me feel a bit twitchy.

5. Andrea @ The Petite Cook

29th January 2017 at 1:37 pm

Such gorgeous recipes! I love blancmange, but never attempted making my own, I better give it a go, yours looks absolutely mouth-watering!

31st January 2017 at 8:20 am

Thanks Andrea. I need to give it another go as it was rather splendid. I’d definitely sieve the purée 2nd time around though.

6. Sus // roughmeasures.com

31st January 2017 at 7:00 pm

I still need to try that sticky banana cake, I think I might give it a go this weekend. It’s always nice to reflect and see which were the most popular recipes!

31st January 2017 at 7:41 pm

It’s always a bit of a surprise and probably not the recipes I would choose. Having said that the banana ginger cake is fab 🙂

7. Jacqueline Meldrum

2nd February 2017 at 8:06 pm

Wow, I didn’t know you could make a veggie blacmange. It looks sensational. And flapjacks are always good (just posted some on my blog lol).

3rd February 2017 at 9:30 am

I’ve still a lot of experimenting to do with agar agar. Panna cotta has been on my list for ages. I’ve just commented on your flapjacks. They look fab.

8. Sharon @ Bit of the Good Stuff

2nd February 2017 at 8:36 pm

What a lovely collection of sweet recipes! Number One did surprise me, but only because I’d never heard of rose syrup before. I adore rose flavour so I would love to try some of this syrup. I have one strongly perfumed trailing rose in my garden that blooms in June. I wonder if the petals would be suitable ? Heading over to your recipe right now to check it out 😀 xx

3rd February 2017 at 9:25 am

I make rose syrup every year now, it’s wonderful stuff. Any strongly perfumed rose should do the trick, but red ones will give a much better colour.

9. Glamorous Glutton

9th February 2017 at 4:18 pm

That sticky banana cake looks wonderful, so delicious. GG

14th February 2017 at 7:55 pm

Thanks GG. It’s astonishingly popular and time I made it again.