Love them or hate them, Brussels sprouts are an integral part of Christmas. So why not give your Christmas dish a spicy twist? These stir-fried Brussels sprouts with leeks, ginger, garlic and chilli will liven up the event. They’re quick to cook and unlike boiling, stir-frying makes the sulphury compounds of the sprouts less obvious.
But why limit sprouts to your Christmas dinner? We found that a helping of the stir-fried Brussels sprouts went very nicely with a bowl of dhal and brown rice. I make my dhal differently every time, depending on how I feel and what I have to hand. Here’s a recipe for a particularly delicious one – kill-a-cold lentil curry.
Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Leeks, Ginger, Garlic & Chilli
You could even give this vegan recipe centre stage and make it the main part of the meal. Just add some cubed tofu before adding the sprouts to the stir-fry.
The Brussels sprouts are slightly crunchy and the slivers of ginger, garlic and chilli give a warming spicy glow. Perfect fare for a cold winter’s day.
If you fancy something a little plainer, here’s my quick guide on how to cook the perfect Brussels sprouts.
Other Recipes for Christmas Side Dishes You Might Like
- Braised red cabbage via Tin and Thyme
- Chestnut & tempeh vegan stuffing via Tin and Thyme
- Crispy coated roast potatoes via Fab Food 4 All
- Leek gratin with white sauce via Tin and Thyme
- Maple roasted rainbow carrots via Food to Glow
- Swede & carrot mash via Tin and Thyme
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this recipe for stir-fried Brussels sprouts, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate it. Have you any top tips? Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts. PIN IT.
Stir Fried Brussels Sprouts – The Recipe
Stir-fried Brussels sprouts with leeks, ginger, garlic & chilli
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 thumb sized lump of root ginger - peeled and cut into fine strips.
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and cut into fine strips
- 1 red chilli - deseeded and finely sliced.
- 1 leek - finely sliced
- 25 Brussels sprouts - sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¼ lime
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok to a medium high heat.
- Throw in the ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the leek slices and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sprouts and a pinch of sea salt and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until done.
- Squeeze in the lime. Stir and serve.