Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Leeks, Ginger, Garlic and Chilli
Love them or hate them, Brussels sprouts are an integral part of Christmas. So why not give your Christmas dish a spicy twist? These stir-fried Brussels sprouts with leeks, ginger, garlic and chilli will liven up the event. They’re quick to cook and unlike boiling, stir-frying makes the sulphury compounds of the sprouts less obvious.
But why limit sprouts to your Christmas dinner? We found that a helping of the stir-fried Brussels sprouts went very nicely with a bowl of dhal and brown rice. I make my dhal differently every time, depending on how I feel and what I have to hand. Here’s a recipe for a particularly delicious one – kill-a-cold lentil curry.
You could even give this vegan recipe centre stage and make it the main part of the meal. Just add some cubed tofu a couple of minutes after adding the sprouts to the stir-fry.
The Brussels sprouts are slightly crunchy and the slivers of ginger, garlic and chilli give a warming spicy glow. Perfect fare for a cold winter’s day.
If you fancy something a little plainer, here’s my quick guide on how to cook the perfect Brussels sprouts.
Other Recipes for Christmas Side Dishes You Might Like
- Braised red cabbage via Tin and Thyme
- Crispy coated roast potatoes via Fab Food 4 All
- Maple roasted rainbow carrots via Food to Glow
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this recipe for stir-fried Brussels sprouts, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts. PIN IT.
Stir Fried Brussels Sprouts – The Recipe
Stir-fried Brussels sprouts with leeks, ginger, garlic & chilli
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 thumb sized lump of root ginger - peeled and cut into fine strips.
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and cut into fine strips
- 1 red chilli - deseeded and finely sliced.
- 1 leek - finely sliced
- 25 Brussels sprouts - sliced
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ lime
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large pan or wok to a medium high heat.
- Throw in the ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the leek slices and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sprouts and a pinch of sea salt and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until done.
- Squeeze in the lime. Stir and serve.