Freshness Frozen and Icy Ideas

Ice Pizzaria

Sponsored Post | 16th April 2015 | By

It’s hard to imagine where we’d be now without our freezers. I grew up with one and each summer and autumn it was filled with the bounty from the garden that was then enjoyed throughout the winter months – freshness frozen indeed. Capturing the freshness of produce soon after harvest by freezing it has to be the next best thing to eating it straight from the plot. The tradition started by my mother so many years ago, is one I have continued whenever I’ve been lucky enough to be able to grow some of my own produce.

Dr Oetker Ristorante recently constructed a rather awe inspiring ice pizzeria in London to showcase frozen food, which it seems is often overlooked. Freezing is excellent for locking in the freshness of food, whereas many supposedly “fresh foods” are full of preservatives. Thirty four blocks of ice with fresh vegetables, pizza ingredients and decor frozen into them were used in the making of this pizzeria.

Ice Pizzeria

I’m very happy living in my beautiful home county of Cornwall, but sometimes it would be good to be able to head up-country and into town. This is one of those occasions, although I’m not sure I should make a habit of travelling with an  ice pick in my bag. The frozen ristorante concept is not only fun, but it’s ephemeral street art on a grand scale – cool! The weather in London, as elsewhere, is the opposite of cool this week, so I  doubt this  construction at Liverpool Street Station would have lasted long. Nevertheless, it attracted the attention of the travelling public as the pictures show. The blocks were constructed by hand and it took a month to finish them all. If that isn’t cool, I don’t know what is.

Ice Pizzeria

We are not always successful at growing quite what we’d like down at our plot, but one of the things we grow plenty of, is garlic *touches wood*. We haven’t had to buy garlic in years , but getting it to last all year round took a bit of working out. It was the freezer that came to our rescue. We peel a whole load, then whizz it up with olive oil soon after harvesting. We then put this into small tubs and freeze it, taking the tubs out as and when we need them. This is a brilliant way to use garlic during spring, after the old garlic has sprouted and before the new garlic is ready.

Ice Pizzeria

Our freezer is also well stocked with meals that I’ve pre-prepared, so there’s always something handy on those days when I haven’t got the time or energy to cook. I often make twice the amount needed for our evening meal, so that I can put half of it into the freezer for just such an occasion. Do you have any tips on making the most out of freshness frozen?

This is a sponsored post, although all words are my own. Images courtesy of Dr Oetker.

1. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

16th April 2015 at 9:01 am

These look so pretty. I bet they would make a nice decorative feature at a winter wedding.

16th April 2015 at 10:03 am

Now that would look truly splendid Jemma. It would work brilliantly well with a white dress.

2. Karen

16th April 2015 at 9:12 am

SNAP! I also wrote about this, I posted my article earlier on this week – amazing sculptures aren’t they? Karen

16th April 2015 at 10:08 am

Ah, did you get to see the real thing Karen? I’d have loved to see it, it’s such a fantabulous idea.

3. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

16th April 2015 at 9:45 am

The sculptures are so amazing. I wish I could have seen this. And I did not realise that Dr Oetker did such a variety of frozen foods either.

16th April 2015 at 10:17 am

I’d love to have seen it too Bintu – must have made the daily commute a bit more interesting. Finding out about Dr Oetker pizzas was an added bonus.

4. Rhizowen

16th April 2015 at 9:55 am

I’ll never look at a humble frozen pizza in the same way again.

16th April 2015 at 10:18 am

It certainly adds an extra dimension to them Rhizowen 🙂

5. Rachel Bustin

16th April 2015 at 2:20 pm

Amazing sculptures!
    When I do my batch cooking I always make the most out of my freezer!

16th April 2015 at 4:03 pm

They are amazing Rachel. If you can get organised and do some batch cooking, it really makes life easier. I don’t always manage it, but it’s great when I do.

6. Rachel

16th April 2015 at 2:40 pm

What a cool (I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pun) thing to see! How pretty! I really miss having a freezer of my own, a house sitting life is fine but you can’t go leaving your freshly picked, freshly bought produce, freshly made dishes in other people’s freezers!

16th April 2015 at 4:04 pm

Haha, but if you did Rachel, you might well be asked back again 😉

7. Dom

16th April 2015 at 6:46 pm

such pretty sculptures… i’m gutted I missed this. I’ve drunk out of ice glasses before and they where fab!

16th April 2015 at 8:11 pm

Ouch, didn’t the ice glass stick to your lips and freeze them Dom? Trying to imagine what that might be like.

16th April 2015 at 8:58 pm

Being a country girl too, I rely very much on my freezer. I love to store blackcurrant and blackberries for instant puds in the winter. Frozen peas are a minor miracle, so fresh and versatile.

16th April 2015 at 9:03 pm

All that summer and autumn colour is so cheery in winter Janice as well as the flavours of course 🙂