Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolat – Random Recipes #45

Free From, Gluten Free | 23rd November 2014 | By

November can be a bit of a miserable month, so thank goodness for Random Recipes which lights the darkness on the downhill run to Christmas. Dom tasked us this month with rifling through our magazine cuttings and other such clippings to pick a random recipe. I was hoping to strike lucky with something suitable that I could make as a thank you to our fabulous next door neighbours. Not only do they take most of our parcels when we’re away, but they helped us out in a real crisis last Saturday; part of our bedroom window fell away, ripping off some tiles in the process – not great at the best of times, but especially not in all the wind and rain we’ve been experiencing this month, with a lot worse to come.

So I gathered together my various ‘chocolate’ clippings and asked CT to close his eyes, have a root around in them and pull one out. I couldn’t have wished for a better recipe, it was Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolate torn out of an old issue of the Food Magazine.

Coincidentally, Chocolate Log Blog has been shortlisted for the Food Reader Awards from this very same magazine and I would of course love to have your votes. It’s a very quick process, you do need to leave an e-mail address, but you don’t have to sign up for anything.

This is a rich flourless chocolate cake, so perfect for anyone on a gluten free diet. It is also simple to make and quite delicious. Although I have made similar cakes to this in the past, I put a little of the batter into a muffin mould so I could try it – quality testing is sooooo important. I decided to use my chocolate cake mould for this and to top it with a chocolate sauce, the idea being for it to run down the gaps and look shiny and decadent. Things didn’t quite go according to plan and I have to confess this is not a looker. However, our neighbours were very happy with it and the empty plate came back in less than an hour along with a beaming smile and a report that it was very good and had been polished off rapidly.

This is how I made:

Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolat with my Chocolate Sauce

• Melted 125g 70% dark chocolate in a pan over gentle heat along with 50g unsalted butter and left to cool a little.
  • Separated 3 duck eggs.
  • Whisked the yolks with 35g cardamom sugar (golden caster sugar) until the mixture was thick and pale.
  • Folded in the chocolate butter mixture along with 50g ground almonds
  • Whisked the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, then folded into the cake batter.
  • Scraped into my silicone chocolate mould (an 18cm or 20cm pan would probably be about right) and baked at 180℃ for 20 minutes when the cake was well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle came out clean.
  • Allowed to cool in the mould for a few minutes, then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Melted 50g of 70% dark chocolate in a pan with 75ml water and 1 scant tbsp golden syrup.
  • Brought to a simmer and let bubble for a couple of minutes.
  • Removed from the heat and added a small knob of butter.
  • Allowed to cool a little, then poured over the cake. Annoyingly I had allowed my chocolate to bubble away for a little too long, so the mixture was a bit too thick to pour well.
I am sending this off to Random Recipes over at Belleau Kitchen.

1. beautyqueenuk

23rd November 2014 at 10:18 am

Oh this looks absolutely divine, there is something about chocolate cake that makes me want it and I was shocked to read that it was flour less x

29th November 2014 at 7:53 pm

Exactly so, which makes it more healthy than most chocolate cakes – that’s what I like to believe anyway 😉

2. Abbigayle Warner

23rd November 2014 at 10:25 am

omg! this looks extremely yummy! , I will definitely add this to my recipe book!

3. GG

23rd November 2014 at 3:52 pm

Wow! what happened about the window? Did you manage to stay dry? The cake looks really yummy and that chocolate sauce is so shiny, I bet it’s rich and decadent. GG

29th November 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks GG, our neighbour mended it for us and replaced the tiles – what a saviour. The cake was delicious, but I only had a tiny bit – honest!

4. The Caked Crusader

23rd November 2014 at 4:26 pm

Chocolate sponge and choccy sauce; hopefully it made up for the window problems. Hope you get it all sorted soon.

29th November 2014 at 7:51 pm

Thanks CC, luckily our neighbour sorted it for us or I think we would now have a very wet bedroom. Chocolate cake of course helped.

5. belleau kitchen

23rd November 2014 at 6:14 pm

I adore Claudia Rodins cake recipes and this really does look incredible! It looks like a giant slab of chocolate cake and all the sauce makes it heavenly. Fab entry to random recipes and glad I could make your November run a little more sparklier!

29th November 2014 at 7:50 pm

Well that was until you stood me up Dom!!! Luckily chocolate cake has a very soothing effect, so all is now forgiven 😉

6. Angie Schneider

23rd November 2014 at 7:01 pm

This is a dream cake for chocolate lovers!

29th November 2014 at 7:49 pm

It is indeed Angie and thankfully there are plenty of them around 🙂

7. Fiver Feeds

23rd November 2014 at 10:49 pm

Very easy cake to make, but it’s really one of the best chocolate cakes I ever tried!

8. Jacqueline Meldrum

23rd November 2014 at 11:53 pm

Oh my Choclette! That is sinful!

9. Katie

24th November 2014 at 6:38 am

Oh that looks fabulous! Love the sound of the cake, very chocolaty. Sorry to hear about your window – why do these things always happen in winter!

29th November 2014 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Katie, it’s a cake for you 🙂 Crossing fingers we don’t get amy more storms.

10. Jean

24th November 2014 at 8:08 am

So sorry to hear about your storm damage, I hope you get it fixed soon.
    The cake looks gorgeous and I’m always on the lookout for gluten free recipes, so thanks!

29th November 2014 at 7:47 pm

This is a fantastic GF recipe Jean – so rich and delicious. And thanks, our window and tiles have been fixed now.

11. Deena Kakaya

24th November 2014 at 10:39 pm

oh I feel for you with that storm damage- I hope it is all sorted out soon.

This recipe has serious amounts of phwoar factor x

29th November 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thank you Deena, the window is all fixed now and hopefully won’t blow away in the next storm! The cake was gorgeous, but I think I’d present it a bit differently next time.

12. Phil in the Kitchen

24th November 2014 at 10:52 pm

I for one am always more than happy to see another Claudia Roden recipe. She’s been with me through thick and thin (well, fat and slightly less fat) over many years. I think I might have tried more of CR’s recipes than just about any other writer. This looks like another winner to me. Hope you’re keeping warm and dry.

29th November 2014 at 7:45 pm

Phil, she is such a fabulous writer, but I don’t think I’ve tried many of her recipes at all – how shocking is that?

13. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com

27th November 2014 at 3:32 pm

Choclette, looks delicious! So sorry about your storm damage. Hope it’s all taken care of and you’re snug and cosy now!

29th November 2014 at 7:44 pm

Thank you Jean – storm damage all sorted now thanks to our next door neighbour 🙂

14. Kate@whatkatebaked

29th November 2014 at 9:25 am

What lovely recipe Choclette- Claudia is one of my favourite food writers. I’m ever so sorry to hear about the window- especially in all that terrible wind and rain. I hope it is all okay now?

29th November 2014 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Kate, window is fine now, but we are all crossing fingers we don’t get another really stormy winter like the last one.

15. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

29th November 2014 at 7:51 pm

Some of the best tasting cakes are not ‘lookers’….. but who cares? I always make testers too, especially if I am taking them somewhere else…. we have reputations to uphold after all! This recipe sounds rich and delicious…. the fact that it is GF is an added bonus…. bookmarked! Good luck with the Food Reader Awards.. you have my vote!

17th December 2014 at 1:53 pm

Thank you Kate – for everything. I always appreciate your comments (even if I don’t answer them immediately) and for the vote too.