Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolat – Random Recipes #45
November can be a bit of a miserable month, so thank goodness for Random Recipes which lights the darkness on the downhill run to Christmas. Dom tasked us this month with rifling through our magazine cuttings and other such clippings to pick a random recipe. I was hoping to strike lucky with something suitable that I could make as a thank you to our fabulous next door neighbours. Not only do they take most of our parcels when we’re away, but they helped us out in a real crisis last Saturday; part of our bedroom window fell away, ripping off some tiles in the process – not great at the best of times, but especially not in all the wind and rain we’ve been experiencing this month, with a lot worse to come.
So I gathered together my various ‘chocolate’ clippings and asked CT to close his eyes, have a root around in them and pull one out. I couldn’t have wished for a better recipe, it was Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolate torn out of an old issue of the Food Magazine.
Coincidentally, Chocolate Log Blog has been shortlisted for the Food Reader Awards from this very same magazine and I would of course love to have your votes. It’s a very quick process, you do need to leave an e-mail address, but you don’t have to sign up for anything.
This is a rich flourless chocolate cake, so perfect for anyone on a gluten free diet. It is also simple to make and quite delicious. Although I have made similar cakes to this in the past, I put a little of the batter into a muffin mould so I could try it – quality testing is sooooo important. I decided to use my chocolate cake mould for this and to top it with a chocolate sauce, the idea being for it to run down the gaps and look shiny and decadent. Things didn’t quite go according to plan and I have to confess this is not a looker. However, our neighbours were very happy with it and the empty plate came back in less than an hour along with a beaming smile and a report that it was very good and had been polished off rapidly.
Other Flourless Chocolate Cakes You Might Like
- Chocolate almond cake
- Chocolate polenta cake
- Coffee cardamom mousse cake
- Nigella’s pistachio chocolate cake
- Willie’s cloud forest chocolate cake
This is how I made:
Claudia Roden’s Gateau au Chocolat with my Chocolate Sauce
- Melted 125g 70% dark chocolate in a pan over gentle heat along with 50g unsalted butter and left to cool a little.
- Separated 3 duck eggs.
- Whisked the yolks with 35g cardamom sugar (golden caster sugar) until the mixture was thick and pale.
- Folded in the chocolate butter mixture along with 50g ground almonds
- Whisked the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, then folded into the cake batter.
- Scraped into my silicone chocolate mould (an 18cm or 20cm pan would probably be about right) and baked at 180℃ for 20 minutes when the cake was well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle came out clean.
- Allowed to cool in the mould for a few minutes, then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melted 50g of 70% dark chocolate in a pan with 75ml water and 1 scant tbsp golden syrup.
- Brought to a simmer and let bubble for a couple of minutes.
- Removed from the heat and added a small knob of butter.
- Allowed to cool a little, then poured over the cake. Annoyingly I had allowed my chocolate to bubble away for a little too long, so the mixture was a bit too thick to pour well.