Chocolate Made Easy

Milk Chocolate Truffles

There’s no doubt about it, chocolate making is fun. It’s also usually messy and results can be unpredictable – or is that just me? Chocolate at Home have taken all of the difficulties out of the activity but have cunningly kept the fun bit in place. They’ve created chocolate making kits that not only make the process easy, but turn out tasty and good looking chocolates. Perfect as a Christmas (or any other time) gift for a chocolate loving friend or relation, these would also be a fun activity for the whole family.

I was sent their entire range to try: two chocolate truffle kits, a dark and a milk, a dessert canapé kit and a reindeer chocolate lollipop kit. I wanted to save the dark chocolate kit and reindeer lollipops for Christmas, so I kicked things off with the milk chocolate truffle kit. This comprehensive kit contains everything you need to make 21 large truffles, bar a bit of basic kitchen equipment. The part that made this particularly easy was the provision of chocolate shells to pipe the truffle mixture into. This avoided much of the mess often associated with truffle making. But the fun part of dipping the truffle shells in melted chocolate is not omitted – phew! The final stage is to coat the chocolates in a crunchy mix of roasted and caramelised hazelnuts.

Chocolate At Home KitsThe kit costs £12.95 and can be bought direct from the Chocolate At Home website. The ingredients weigh 450g and include:

• 125g Belgian milk chocolate (32%)
  • 200g milk truffle filling
  • 21 milk chocolate truffle shells (35%)
  • 50 chopped roasted hazelnuts
  • 50g chopped caramelised hazelnuts
  • Piping bag
  • Instruction leaflet

Chocolate Truffle Kit

I was tempted to go off-piste in my usual fashion and add some alcohol to the truffles, but in the end I thought I ought to just follow the instructions and see where they led me. They were both detailed and helpful, all but the melting chocolate part that is. It was assumed that everyone has a microwave, I don’t and suspect I’m not the only one; instructions on how to melt chocolate using a bain-marie would have been helpful. Luckily, I knew what to do and everything worked just as it should. I was very happy with the finished product.

I was impressed with the quality of the kit, which came in a sturdy reusable box lined with orange tissue paper. The piping bag was a good strong one and quite large too, which made filling it particularly simple. However, in addition to the microwave assumption already mentioned, I had a couple of quibbles.

1. I would have preferred to have a higher cocoa content in the chocolate which would have made the chocolates a little richer and less sweet.
  2. The truffle filling contained vegetable fat, which I would rather not see added to chocolate. As everything else seemed to be of good quality, I can only assume this would have been part of the preservation process and that the kits would not be viable if fresh cream or butter was used.
Nutty chocolate truffles

The truffles tasted good and the nutty coating made them particularly scrumptious. I thought they might be overly sweet for CT, but he wolfed a couple down appreciativly and said they were delicious. They looked good too. I gifted a few to the lovely ladies down at Affina who give the best massages ever and always go out of their way to make you feel pampered and valued.

I had some melted chocolate and nuts left over at the end, so mixed these together and filled twelve dinosaur chocolate moulds that I was kindly given by Sisley over at Sew White a couple of years ago.

Thanks for Chocolate At Home for sending me their chocolate making kits to try out. I was not required to write a positive review and as always, all opinions are my own.

1. Laura Side Street

9th November 2014 at 11:02 am

Oh wow I love these creations and how cute are the dinosaur chocolates – my son would love these! Thanks for sharing

Laura x

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 11:50 am

Thanks Laura, they were fun to make and fun to eat. The dinosaurs seem to have captured everyone’s hearts though.

2. Beauty Balm

9th November 2014 at 11:04 am

These look great! Just noticed the company in an ad in Olive magazine.

3. Gem

9th November 2014 at 11:10 am

these look like a fun idea, nice way to try something new x

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 11:52 am

Yes, they’s be a great introduction to someone who’d never done anything like this before.

4. GG

9th November 2014 at 1:36 pm

This looks like an ideal gift for both a chocoholic and for fun with the family. They look so professional too. GG

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 11:53 am

It’s satisfying indeed to be able to turn out chocolates that look, as you say, professional GG.

5. bangers-and-mash.com

9th November 2014 at 2:51 pm

Your truffles look delicious and the dinosaurs are so cute too. These kits do look ideal Christmas presents – I think you may just have helped me some of this year’s gift-buying problems!

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 11:56 am

These kits would make great Christmas presents Vanesther – fun and delicious too.

6. The Caked Crusader

9th November 2014 at 4:27 pm

They all look very professional – I love the dinosaurs!

7. freerangegirl

9th November 2014 at 4:35 pm

What a great idea! I love the little dinosaurs too – so cute!

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 11:58 am

Thank you – the last of the dinosaurs has sadly, just had it’s head bitten off!

8. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

9th November 2014 at 9:08 pm

Great idea for a present….. but I am always reluctant to get anything like this as I fear for the cut back on the ingredients…… sometimes these things are more novelty than quality. Having said that….. I can think of a few less fussy people who would love to receive something like this. Your dinosaurs are fab!

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Kate. I know what you mean. But I suspect this would be a big step up for many and if it gets people having fun in the kitchen, that has to be a good thing.

9. Alida

9th November 2014 at 10:44 pm

This looks like fun. It can make a good present for Christmas. Very few people don’t appreciate chocolate. I love the nuts of top. x

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Alida. It’s true, I’ve not met many people in my life who don’t like chocolate, although I’m always a bit surprised when I do. The nuts really made these chocolates with their added flavour and crunch.

10. Nazima Pathan

10th November 2014 at 12:55 pm

very impressed with your chocolate making skills (though I guess I should not be surprised!) especially the tempered chocolate which I really want to learn!

• Choclette Blogger

10th November 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’m still very hit and miss with tempering Nazima, mostly miss! But thank you for being impressed – makes me feel a whole heap better, especially coming from you who turn out such beautiful dishes.

11. Kecia'sFlavor Breakthrough

10th November 2014 at 5:23 pm

What a great idea! These look easy to put together and so tasty, too!!

12. Charlene F

10th November 2014 at 7:51 pm

Looks like you had lots of fun making your chocolates. Your chocolates would make a lovely Xmas gift x

13. KC the Kitchen Chopper

11th November 2014 at 12:32 am

What a great idea for holiday gifts! 🙂

14. Zesty Bite

11th November 2014 at 1:21 pm

oh wow, these look fab. What great little kits. Perfect for a stocking filler 🙂

• Choclette Blogger

13th November 2014 at 10:05 am

You’d need a rather large stocking to get one of these kits in, but I’d certainly be happy to find one in mine 😉

15. belleau kitchen

11th November 2014 at 6:06 pm

OMG you’re like a professional!… love the look of these, such perfect prezzies although I would lose patience after the first batch and then stuff my face with the results!

• Choclette Blogger

13th November 2014 at 10:07 am

Haha – wouldn’t I just love to be a professional chocolatier. The beauty of the kit is that it makes the process relativley fuss free for impatient types like me.

16. Deena Kakaya

11th November 2014 at 9:54 pm

You really are so talented, chocolate wizadry right here eh? The truffles look so divine…you must have a lot of patience as well as skill x

• Choclette Blogger

13th November 2014 at 10:08 am

Thank you Deena, that’s very kind of you to say so. But really, this kit made it all very simple – I take no credit for patience.