Recipe for figgy chocolate tiffin, also known as fridge cake or biscuit cake.
Although I prefer less rather than more sugar in my confectionary, there is no doubt about it, I have a sweet tooth – a sweet tooth combined with a love of chocolate. And I am not alone it seems. According to the Belgian chocolate company Callebaut, two out of three people are more likely to choose a chocolate dessert over a non-chocolate one.
Callebaut currently have a competition going for those working in the food industry to win a trip to Ghana to see the very start of the Barry Callebaut chocolate journey. The task is to create a twist on one of the nation’s top five favourite chocolate puddings.
The UK’s top dessert is a chocolate brownie and unusually for me, I conform to the trend; a good chocolate brownie does it for me. However, tiffin is a strong contender as one of my favourite chocolate treats. It’s simple to prepare, no baking is required and you can make it as child-friendly or as sophisticated as you like. So when I was sent a rather lovely parcel of Cacao Barry chocolate and given the task of making one of their For the Love of Chocolate recipes, I was in a bit of a dilemma – brownie or tiffin?
The recipe for chocolate tiffin won out and this is my version of it using half the quantity:
- Melted 100g 35% Cacao Barry milk chocolate, 50g 55% Cacao Barry dark chocolate, 50g unsalted butter and 1 tbsp golden syrup in a large pan over low heat.
- Broke 125g of Rich Tea biscuits into smallish pieces and stirred into the chocolate.
- Chopped 75g from a Spanish pressed fig and almond wheel and added this together with 25g cranberries and 25g pecans.
- Stirred and pressed into the base of a 2 lb silicon loaf tin.
- Left in a cold room for a couple of hours to set.
- Cut it into rather crumbly pieces.
The figgy nutty tiffin was delicious, with the cranberries giving a welcome bit of tartness. The proof of the ‘tiffin’ is in the eating: this disappeared in a trice.
Other Chocolate Tiffin Recipes You Might Like
- Chocolate Amaretto Biscuit Cake
- Chocolate Honeycomb Squares
- Cranberry & Cherry Tiffin
- Gluten Free Lemon Sherbet Tiffin
- Kondito & Cook Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Rose Pistachio & Apricot Tiffin
In my rather swish gold box. I found some milk, dark and caramel Cacao Barry cooking chocolate together with a milk chocolate bar with my name on it. This, I felt gave me exclusive rights to demolish it, so I did. I used the Cacao Barry milk chocolate made with caramelised sugar to good effect in my rich chocolate tart.
Thanks to Barry Callebaut and Jellybean Creative for providing me with some chocolate to make one of their recipes. I was not required to write a positive review and as always, all opinions are my own.