For the Love of Chocolate Tiffin

Chocolate Fig Tiffin

Although I prefer less rather than more sugar in my confectionary, there is no doubt about it, I have a sweet tooth – a sweet tooth combined with a love of chocolate. And I am not alone it seems. According to the Belgian chocolate company Callebaut, two out of three people are more likely to choose a chocolate dessert over a non-chocolate one.

Callebaut currently have a competition going for those working in the food industry to win a trip to Ghana to see the very start of the Barry Callebaut chocolate journey. The task is to create a twist on one of the nation’s top five favourite chocolate puddings.

The UK’s top dessert is a chocolate brownie and unusually for me, I conform to the trend; a good chocolate brownie does it for me. However, tiffin is a strong contender as one of my favourite chocolate treats. It’s simple to prepare, no baking is required and you can make it as child-friendly or as sophisticated as you like. So when I was sent a rather lovely parcel of Cacao Barry chocolate and given the task of making one of their For the Love of Chocolate recipes, I was in a bit of a dilemma – brownie or tiffin?

The recipe for chocolate tiffin won out and this is my version of it using half the quantity:

Chocolate Tiffin

• Melted 100g 35% Cacao Barry milk chocolate, 50g 55% Cacao Barry dark chocolate, 50g unsalted butter and 1 tbsp golden syrup in a large pan over low heat.
  • Broke 125g of Rich Tea biscuits into smallish pieces and stirred into the chocolate.
  • Chopped 75g from a Spanish pressed fig and almond wheel and added this together with 25g cranberries and 25g pecans.
  • Stirred and pressed into the base of a 2 lb silicon loaf tin.
  • Left in a cold room for a couple of hours to set.
  • Cut it into rather crumbly pieces.
Chocolate fig tiffin

The figgy nutty tiffin was delicious, with the cranberries giving a welcome bit of tartness. The proof of the ‘tiffin’ is in the eating: this disappeared in a trice.

Other chocolate tiffin recipes you might like to try:

Chocolate Amaretto Biscuit Cake
Chocolate Honeycomb Squares
Chocolate Refrigerator Cake for Adults
Cranberry & Cherry Tiffin
Gluten Free Lemon Sherbet Tiffin
Kondito & Cook Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Rose Pistachio & Apricot Tiffin

In my rather swish gold box. I found some milk, dark and caramel Cacao Barry cooking chocolate together with a milk chocolate bar with my name on it. This, I felt gave me exclusive rights to demolish it, so I did. I used the Cacao Barry milk chocolate made with caramelised sugar to good effect in my rich chocolate tart.

Thanks to Barry Callebaut and Jellybean Creative for providing me with some chocolate to make one of their recipes. I was not required to write a positive review and as always, all opinions are my own.

1. Georgia C

31st October 2014 at 10:12 pm

Oh this sounds delicious and looks it! I never new that tiffin was so easy to make!!!

2. Angela Moore

31st October 2014 at 10:48 pm

Oh boy if I have this amount of chocolate tiffin in front of me and a cup of tea I can eat the whole lot in half an hour! A great recipe and love the figs.
    Angela – Garde Tea Cakes and Me

• Choclette Blogger

1st November 2014 at 11:17 am

Haha, you and me both Angela – that’s why I don’t make it very often.

3. belleau kitchen

1st November 2014 at 10:30 am

Looks gorgeous and chewy which I love. Don’t think I’ve ever made a tiffin before (rolls up sleeves) xx

• Choclette Blogger

1st November 2014 at 11:16 am

Dom really??? So easy and so delicious and so bad for you too 😉

4. Eco Gites of Lénault

1st November 2014 at 11:52 am

I do enjoy good chocolate desserts but they have to be really chocolaty, very rich and not too sweet. The addition of some fruit is always a good idea so this sounds right up my street!

• Choclette Blogger

1st November 2014 at 6:56 pm

Thank you. This is delicious, but it’s still quite sweet.

5. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

1st November 2014 at 8:23 pm

I have to admit, chocolate tiffin is very addictive! But home-made when you can choose your favourite ingredients is definitely best! You do get sent some amazingly delicious treats to try Choclette……. You must have smiled big when you saw your name in chocolate…… definitely the right to eat ALL of it!!

• Choclette Blogger

2nd November 2014 at 6:29 am

True homemade is best Kate – I’ve had some horrible tiffin when out and about when all I’ve been able to taste is margarine. And it’s also true I do get sent some lovely things – all much appreciated 🙂

6. Lisa1970

1st November 2014 at 10:13 pm

I love tiffin…I buy the Lazy Days wheat and dairy free version but I’m going to have to try and make my own now! 🙂

• Choclette Blogger

2nd November 2014 at 6:31 am

I’ve not come across that brand before Lisa, but really it’s so easy to make your own and the variations are endless.

7. The Caked Crusader

2nd November 2014 at 2:27 pm

I could eat a frightening amount of this – looks heavenly!

8. Nicol

2nd November 2014 at 3:36 pm

ive never heard of a tiffin before! but i would definitely try this 😀

9. Heidi Roberts

2nd November 2014 at 4:06 pm

This looks so irrestible! Must make some soon.

10. Kate@whatkatebaked

2nd November 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thank you for including my little recipe Choclette! I can never, ever resist a slice of tiffin! Well, realistically, I mean two or three slices…

• Choclette Blogger

4th November 2014 at 10:10 am

It’s surprising how few recipes for tiffin I could actually find Kate. I’m thinking I might need to set a We Should Cocoa tiffin challenge.

11. Angie Schneider

2nd November 2014 at 6:59 pm

I have never heard of or had a tiffin…but anything with quality chococlate must be very delicious!

• Joyce

3rd November 2014 at 2:59 am

It looks so good, I will try it by myself.

12. Alison

3rd November 2014 at 9:49 am

I love tiffin, yours looks gorgeous. Love the name on the chocolate bar!

3rd November 2014 at 10:24 am

Tiffin seems very like our hedgehog and I took sometimes swither between hedgehog and brownie – sadly both of them can be badly mangled (mostly dried out) but then not everyone has a Spanish pressed fig and almond wheel – sounds v fancy and v delish 🙂

• Choclette Blogger

4th November 2014 at 10:07 am

I like the name hedgehog Johanna and a very apt name it is too. As for the fig and almond wheel, I have an aunt who lives in Spain, so I get given one every once in a blue moon – they are gorgeous.

14. Janice Pattie

5th November 2014 at 11:31 am

There’s really nothing better than Chocolate Tiffin, other than Milionaire’s Shortbread of course!

• Choclette Blogger

5th November 2014 at 4:27 pm

Oh no Janice – I used to love it, but find Millionaire’s shortbread just too too sweet these days. Not sure why, because I love caramel. Mind you, I’ve never tried making my own, so guess that could change things!

15. Fiver Feeds

5th November 2014 at 1:03 pm

I love chocolate tiffin! I haven’t made these in a while, so maybe it’s time to get back to the kitchen 😉

• Choclette Blogger

5th November 2014 at 4:57 pm

Definitely time to get into the kitchen – it’s under a fiver too 😉