Kondito & Cook Chocolate Biscuit Cake

No Bake | 1st June 2013 | By

Well, that temptress Tango Like Raindrops from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary, made this chocolate biscuit cake for We Should Cocoa last month and I just couldn’t resist. If you haven’t seen the mango round-up yet, do take a look.

I have seen the recipe many a time in my copy of Green and Black’s Unwrapped, but was always put off by the use of a raw egg. However, when I thought about it, I realised the egg should be pasteurised by the heat of the chocolate mixture and indeed when I read the recipe properly, that is exactly what it says. I decided to use cranberries and ginger rather than cherries and add a little Amaretto to the mix. I also used my newly created dandelion honey rather than golden syrup. Other than that, I pretty much followed the recipe!

This is how I made

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

• Melted 125g unsalted butter in a medium size pan over low heat with 3 tbsp dandelion honey and 200g dark chocolate (G&B 70%).
  • Beat in a medium egg until well incorporated.
  • Added a slug of Amaretto
  • Added 100g of roughly broken digestive biscuits (should have been 50g, but I do like digestives in tiffin).
  • Stirred in 50g whole walnuts, 50g raisins, 25g died cranberries and 25g crystallised ginger.
  • Poured into a lined 20 cm sq tin and placed in the fridge to set for three hours.
  • Cut into 16 squares.

This should come with a serious health warning: it is very addictive and if you have as little willpower as I do, a locked fridge might be a good idea. Despite it’s deliciousness, it was messy to eat with a very soft texture which melted all over our hands. I’m glad I’ve finally tried making tiffin with an egg, but I think I will stick to my firmer and egg fee version in the future.

1. belleau kitchen

1st June 2013 at 8:38 am

ooh, this looks so beautiful… so naughty and moreish… love the added amaretto, such a sophisticated flavour!

1st June 2013 at 8:06 pm

Thank dom. Amaretto works really well in tiffin, it’s one of the ingredients I nearly always add.

2. Victoria Lee

1st June 2013 at 2:22 pm

Haha, I’ve been eyeing this one up too ever since Elizabeth posted it, but other things have gotten in the way! Yet another hint that I should be making this treat for myself 🙂

2nd June 2013 at 1:46 pm

Beware Victoria, it won’t hang around for long 😉

3. Poyma

1st June 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yum yum and yum! Thanks Choclette for another mouth-watering post!

2nd June 2013 at 3:44 pm

And thank you Poyma for your comment 🙂

4. Caroline

1st June 2013 at 7:13 pm

Yum! I don’t often make tiffin but it’s usually well received when I do so I’m betting this was fantastic. Love the way you can choose the fruit/added bits to suit.

2nd June 2013 at 3:46 pm

it’s such a simple thing to make – basically add whatever you like and cover it with chocolate 🙂

5. Phil in the Kitchen

1st June 2013 at 9:09 pm

I haven’t made anything like this for ages but I really want some now. A firmer texture would probably get my vote but a little meltage can be fun.

2nd June 2013 at 3:47 pm

The temptation was too great for me Phil and soft texture or not, it disappeared rather too quickly.

6. celia

1st June 2013 at 10:17 pm

I love this recipe, but it really does need to be served cold, doesn’t it? I tried serving it at a party once, and everyone was covered in chocolate.. 🙂

2nd June 2013 at 3:49 pm

Haha, not the best thing for those party dresses Celia. I expect everyone had fun though.

7. Katie

2nd June 2013 at 5:43 am

My made this a lot when we were growing up (a variation of) and in fact she still does when she has people over for tea. We used to call it chooolate fridge cake

2nd June 2013 at 3:51 pm

This is a no bake cake of many names. I grew up with it as chocolate refrigerator cake, but as I got older and more sophisticated I now call it tiffin 😉

8. The KitchenMaid

2nd June 2013 at 8:24 am

I love all variations of this, agree it is incredibly addictive!

2nd June 2013 at 3:52 pm

Talking of different name, I seem to remember “dog biscuits” came into it somewhere Lucy.

9. Jacqueline Meldrum

2nd June 2013 at 11:15 am

Cooper would love this. I better not let him see it!!

2nd June 2013 at 3:53 pm

No indeed Jac and as clever as he is, I’m sure he’d get it all over his clothes too – I did.

10. The Caked Crusader

2nd June 2013 at 4:00 pm

There is something about combining chocolate, dried fruit and biscuit that just results in heaven! This looks amazing

16th June 2013 at 3:29 pm

CC, I do agree, agree agree 🙂

11. Elizabeth

2nd June 2013 at 4:58 pm

OOh yum yum yum! I love what you’ve done to the recipe, the dandelion honey, the amaretto, the cranberries and ginger – it all sounds like it works perfectly! I need to do something about that Tangolikeraindrop thing. When I started the blog it was meant to be private, for only me, and so I used my email address – I wish I’d put more thought into a blog address way back then! Too late now!

16th June 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Elizabeth, this was all down to you. I suspect many of us start our blogs off for a very different purpose to what they eventually morph into. I think I’d have chosen a very different blog title if I knew where it was going – hey ho!

12. Hussy London

3rd June 2013 at 11:31 am

Konditor & Cooks makes my favourite ever Banoffee pie.
    Been eating it for over 12 years now !
    These biscuits look just as fab as anything else our favourite Borough Market haunt produces.
    Thank you for sharing. x

16th June 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks for your comment. This is my only experience of Konditor & Cooks, so it’s good to hear how fabulous they are. I do sometimes feel I’m missing out down here, but luckily not very often 😉

13. Amy

9th June 2013 at 10:47 am

AMAZING. Tiffin is one of my favourite things in the whole entire world but I’ve never found a recipe that I wanted to try — I think I’m going to have to jump on this.

16th June 2013 at 3:33 pm

Oh but tiffin is so easy to make Amy – give it a go do 🙂