Nathan Outlaw’s Cornish Salted Fudge Brownies – Random Recipes #22

This month Dom tasked us with randomly selecting a recipe. Not from a book, but from our piles of clippings and odd cuttings filed away in recipe books – you mean I’m not the only one that does this? I’ve been squirrelling away various recipe cuttings for years and have probably lost more than I currently have. I cut them out because I really like the look of the recipe and know I have to make it very soon. Then it somehow disappears into a pile, as a bookmark and occasionally into an actual file. Now, I may not be as organised as I’d like to be and I can’t guarantee that every chocolate recipe clipping is in the same place, but I do have a cuttings folder of chocolate recipes. This was the one I thrust under CT’s nose, told him to close his eyes, put in his hand and pull something out, which he obligingly did.

And out he drew a recipe from Food, a local magazine focussing on the South West: a recipe from celebrity chef Nathan Outlaw no less. Nathan Outlaw is one of Cornwall’s Michelin starred chefs and although I’ve never eaten any of his food, Fiona of London Unattached is quite a fan. His recipe for chocolate, fudge and Cornish sea salt brownies put a happy smile on my face. I always have a tub of Cornish sea salt on hand as I use it to make my weekly loaves, so that wasn’t a problem. The Cornish fudge wasn’t a problem either. We have our very own fudge maker here in Liskeard, Gingham Chicken and very popular her fudge is proving to be. I had to adapt the recipe a little as the quantities were large. I used 100% wholemeal spelt, which I find works perfectly in brownies.

This is how I made:

Cornish Salted Fudge Brownies

• Melted 110g unsalted butter in a large pan with 110g of Fairtrade 85% chocolate.
  • Stirred in 160g dark brown sugar and took of the heat to cool slightly.
  • Beat in two large duck eggs.
  • Stirred in 110g wholemeal spelt flour
  • Added a scant tsp of Cornish sea salt and stirred.
  • Chopped 50g of local Cornish fudge and stirred into the mix.
  • Poured into an 8″ square cake mould and baked at 150C for 20 minutes (as the recipe stated). It was still runny at this point, so I turned the oven up to 180C and baked for another 7 minutes. It was well risen and the top was crusty, but it was still gooey (not runny) in the middle – just right.
  • Left to cool then cut into 9 squares.

Even though I love salted caramel and salted chocolate, I did find it very strange at first bite to taste salt in a brownie. In fact, I’m sitting on the fence on this one and can’t make my mind up if I like it. I don’t dislike it and the brownies were lovely and fudgy and it was fun to come across the chunks of fudge, which gave additional flavour and texture. CT, whilst also sitting on the fence, managed to polish off a fair few of them.

These brownies are my submission for this month’s Random Recipes with the Dashing Dom of Belleau Kitchen.

I’m also adding submitting this to Jac’s Bookmarked Recipes from Tinned Tomatoes.

1. Foodycat

14th March 2013 at 8:40 am

I love the idea of these! Sorry you didn’t totally love them though.

Pulling a recipe out of the cuttings pile is such a good idea!

16th March 2013 at 3:54 pm

I really should do it more often.

2. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

14th March 2013 at 9:33 am

These do look incredibly good, even if the saltiness seems a bit strange. I love salted caramel, and this seems a similar principle, but fudge would hold up better to the baking. Would love to try these and I think they’re a great RR entry! 🙂

16th March 2013 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Susie. I’m not really sure why I found them a bit odd because I love salted caramel and salted fudge.

3. belleau kitchen

14th March 2013 at 11:06 am

I am chocolate salt crazy at the moment so these sound divine but I agree it is an odd taste sensation, but then I actually think that’s what I like about it… they look glorious anyway and a great pick too. Thank you so much for entering xx

16th March 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Dom – I suspect we are all contrary creatures. Salt in chocolate is delicious.

4. Caroline - All That I'm Eating

14th March 2013 at 11:10 am

I cut out and keep all sorts of stuff, what a great one to make! Looks glorious but I can imagine what you mean about it being a bit of an odd one!

16th March 2013 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Caroline. I’m a regular hoarder, but at least once I’ve made something and posted about it, I can chuck the cutting.

5. hungryhinny

14th March 2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh dear – I have all the ingredients for these on hand, including a tin of Rodda’s fudge which has been in the cupboard for months… too tempting! I’m a big fan of salted chocolate too but it’s interesting that you weren’t sure, it certainly sounds like a combination that should work!

16th March 2013 at 4:04 pm

Well you must certainly try them Nat, that fudge is obviously in need – I’d be interested to know what you think.

6. Kit @ i-lostinausten

14th March 2013 at 8:41 pm

I love salted chocolate & salted caramel but have not try salt in a brownie though. Would love to try this recipe ! 😉

16th March 2013 at 6:16 pm

I’m with you on all fronts Kit, so was expecting to like the brownie more than I actually did.

7. Galina Varese

15th March 2013 at 9:02 am

Love the combination of salty & sweet. I also have a zillion of cuttings, too many to ever cook them all. 🙂

16th March 2013 at 6:17 pm

Oh I know Galina. If I had a day for every recipe I have, I would live to be 1000 years old at least 😉

8. thelittleloaf

15th March 2013 at 9:32 am

I know exactly what you mean about salty brownies – they’re kind of delicious, kind of odd at the same time as they don’t have that powerful sweetness of salted caramel. I reckon these were still pretty amazing though 🙂

16th March 2013 at 6:19 pm

They were certainly worth trying, but they don’t go down as my favourite brownie ever.

9. Katharine

15th March 2013 at 6:44 pm

I think these sound and look great – I really like that sweet/salty combination. Also thanks for the tip about using spelt flour in brownies – I’ll definitely be doing that from now on, I imagine it works perfectly.

16th March 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Katharine. I always use wholemeal flour or spelt in brownies. It works particularly well as light and spongy is not what your looking for in a brownie – at least I’m not.

10. Caroline

16th March 2013 at 4:13 pm

They look like gorgeous fudgy brownies. I too am not quite sure about the salted chocolate combination. Lindt have a 47% cocoa fleur de sel bar that I’ve been eating and you can definitely get little salty hits from it. Interestingly (for me at least!) their salted choc bar has 80mg sodium per 100g but their normal 70% also has 60mg sodium per 100g. Strikes me as quite high anyway, and I’m surprised that an extra 20mg/100g makes a difference, but it obviously does!

16th March 2013 at 6:25 pm

60mg of salt does sound like a lot. I guess the additional salt comes in flakes rather than distributed throughout, so you get those bursts of saltiness on the taste buds.

11. Caroline

16th March 2013 at 4:14 pm

PS love the new header!

16th March 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thank you C, it’s only taken me four years to work out how to do it 😉

• Caroline

17th March 2013 at 7:15 pm

And I still haven’t worked it out!

12. Nazima FranglaisKitchen

17th March 2013 at 8:38 pm

this sounds great. I can imagine the fudge in the brownie must make it even more soft and moist. Such a nice idea. I’m a bit late to the whole salted caramel/fudge thing but will have to try it out

13. Phil in the Kitchen

18th March 2013 at 12:33 am

I really like the sound of the salted fudge. It might be a little odd, but it might just be slightly addictive too.

14. Laura

19th March 2013 at 2:13 pm

Sea salt in chocolate and caramel is my new found favourite combo! These sound delicious!

Laura

15. mekristopher

20th March 2013 at 7:37 am

I’ve made this brownie recipe twice and it has lived up to it’s name! I made a slight change the second time and put a layer of caramels, pecans, and semi-sweet chocolate chips in the middle and layered more brownie mix on top of that.

16. larelle

25th March 2013 at 10:50 am

This recipe sounds lovely. Must try it! Love salted chocs 🙂

17. Maya Russell

26th March 2013 at 6:47 am

I like the salt and caramel flavour but I don’t think it’d work in a brownie – you’d just get the salt flavour. And we don’t need the extra salt anyway.

18. Recipe Junkie

30th March 2013 at 6:35 pm

MMM I do like the idea of the salt and caramel myself. The brownies look fantastic!

19. Suzanne

30th March 2013 at 9:09 pm

Oh my word. I have a good friend who makes and sells the most amazing fudge here in Wellington and (poor me!) she often gives me samples of new flavours to try. I know what I’m doing with the next batch of samples…

20. Christian Halfmann

31st March 2013 at 10:46 am

Hm … for me it seems it’s not so easy to get those ingredients, the Cornish sea salt and fudge, however, it sounds great and I would readily go for a bite.

21. Jacqueline Meldrum

31st March 2013 at 10:38 pm

I love a little salt with chocolate, it works so well. I just popped over to let you know the Bookmarked Recipes roundup is live. Thanks for adding these. I can’t believe I missed these before.