Chocolate Mincemeat

Christmas, Preserves | 26th November 2011 | By

Each year I vow to make mincemeat and each year I fail. But this year, I’ve bucked the trend – hooray. CT is not a fan of mince pies and I can take them or leave them, but home-made mincemeat is a different food game altogether – or at least that’s what I’m hoping. I based my mix on the one in British Baking by Peyton and Byrne, but used rum instead of brandy and the home-made mixed spice I concocted after reading Karen’s post about it on Lavender and Lovage. I also, added, errrr, chocolate! I made it a couple of weeks ago but am letting it brew for a while. As it has lots of apple in the recipe, I thought I’d sneak it into this month’s apple themed We Should Cocoa.

These are the ingredients I mixed together in a large bowl which I covered and left over night before giving a good stir and spooning into sterilised jars:

• 225g Cornish cooking apples (variety unidentified) – finely chopped
  • 110g vegetarian suet (rather wished I’d used butter in retrospect)
  • 175g raisins
  • 110g sultanas
  • 110g currants
  • 50g mixed peel
  • 100g dark chocolate (70%) – chopped
  • 175g dark brown sugar
  • grated zest and juice of an organic orange (unwaxed)
  • grated zest and juice of an organic lemon (unwaxed)
  • 25g flaked almonds
  • 3 tsp mixed spice (home-made)
  • 3 tbsp rum

This should keep for a year in a cool dark place, but I have plans for this mincemeat and I’m really looking forward to trying it. Assuming it makes the grade, a couple of the jars might make it into this year’s Christmas hampers.

1. Foodycat

26th November 2011 at 12:12 pm

I do like the idea of little nuggets of chocolate melting in!

2. Brownieville Girl

26th November 2011 at 12:51 pm

Great idea for this month’s challenge – don’t forget to update us on how it tastes!

3. Lottie @ Lottiesworld

26th November 2011 at 2:35 pm

Nice idea!

4. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

26th November 2011 at 2:57 pm

I made mincemeat yesterday for the first time ever!!… We’ve clearly been inspired by all those clever people at Fortnums!…pretty similar ingredients to yours, which looks yummy but I used whisky instead of rum!… can’t wait to eat it too!

5. Karen S Booth

26th November 2011 at 3:27 pm

What a great idea to add chocolate! I have a wonderful spiced mincemeat and chocolate cake recipe, and imagine that this will taste similar! Brilliant mincemeat and a lovely change too!
    Karen

6. C

26th November 2011 at 5:00 pm

I wouldn’t have thought of adding chocolate to mincemeat. I’ll have to give it a try!

I shouldn’t really make mincemeat though – I like making it, but rarely get round to using it. My mum was gifted the last lot I made recently. It was marked 2009. Oops!

7. Jacqueline

26th November 2011 at 5:06 pm

Inspired idea to add the chocolate! Bet it tastes great.

26th November 2011 at 6:55 pm

Foodycat – that is exactly what made me think of it.

BVG – expect mince pies to be featuring at some point as well as something else I’ve got up my sleeve 😉

Lottie – thank you.

Dom – oh, I bet whiskey will give a real depth to the flavour. I’ve never been a fan of whiskey, but last year I was served some on my porridge and it was really really good. Bet you didn’t use chocolate though 😉

Karen – you do know how to entice. Where is that chocolate mincemeat cake?

C – yes it’s funny how we want to make things and then they end up languishing in the back of the cupboard. Quite a bit of my stuff ends up like that.

Jac – thanks, I’m crossing fingers that it does so!

9. nic@nipitinthebud

26th November 2011 at 9:26 pm

mmm, scrummy – the perfect filling for chocolate mince pies (although the sugar hit could be quite devestating!)

26th November 2011 at 9:45 pm

Mincemeat and chocolate is such a perfect combination. I have my pots in the fridge, because I used butter rather than suet, waiting to be made into mince pies nearer Christmas.

27th November 2011 at 10:50 am

you put chocolate in your mince meat? I want some. I love making chocolate panforte with regular mince meat so I can well imagine that mince meat would be delicious with chocolate

27th November 2011 at 1:20 pm

Nic – yes I remember your lovely looking mince pies from last year – wondering if chocolate pastry and chocolate mincemeat might be too much of a good thing – on the other hand ……

Janice – ah, hadn’t thought about that aspect of using butter. I think they would taste better, but not so good for storage.

Oh panforte Johanna, what a lovely idea 🙂

13. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)

27th November 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love mincemeat in my fruit mince pies! The addition of dark chocolate is a great idea..it would go well with those sweet dried fruits

14. oxslip

27th November 2011 at 4:00 pm

I just made some too – I’m a bit behind! yours looks ace, have a look for interest in the River Cottage book by Pam the Jam. Her recipe has only fruit, sugar, spices and booze – no fat at all and it seems to work OK.
    Might add some chopped chocolate to the mix now!

15. thelittleloaf

27th November 2011 at 5:24 pm

If anyone can pull off chocolate mincemeat it’s definitely you! I’d been thinking about doing pies with a chocolate crust…do you think a chocolate crust AND filling would be overkill?!

16. The Caked Crusader

27th November 2011 at 5:49 pm

What an unusual combination – I have never seen chocolate mincemeat. I’m not a fan of mincemeat…maybe adding chocolate to it is the answer!

17. Baking Addict

27th November 2011 at 7:31 pm

Great idea adding chocolate in. A creative entry for we should cocoa. I’m not a fan of mincemeat myself but may be tempted by this chocolate creation of yours 🙂

27th November 2011 at 8:15 pm

Brittany – that’s certainly what I’m hoping. Time will tell!

Oxslip – Oh, I’ve just had a look and now I want to make both the plum and russet and the pear and ginger. Dan has another quite different recipe but using butter. Still, it’s a first and I had to start somewhere.

Little Loaf – Thank you for your vote of confidence – I’m really looking forward to finding out how well it works. I think your double chocolate mince pies have to be tried 😉

CC – I think there’s a big difference between bought and home-made. That’s what I keep hearing anyway. CT will be the judge – he won’t normally eat mince pies.

Baking Addict – Thank you. See above 🙂

19. Laura@h

27th November 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think you may be onto a good thing here. Chocolate flavoured mincemeat is bound to taste amazing. It fits in nicely with all your other ingredients and will be a big hit I am sure!
    I often use mincemeat in crumbles too and find it works well, served with lots of cream/custard xx

20. Working london mummy

27th November 2011 at 9:57 pm

oook what a lovely idea. Never thought of chocolate in it though I do add cocoa to my Xmas pudding so why not am sure the chocolate flavour goes well with all those lovely spices x

21. Gloria

27th November 2011 at 11:01 pm

this look amazing Choclette, an amazing idea:)

22. Wendy@The Omnivorous Bear

28th November 2011 at 5:21 am

Oh how delicious this will be!

23. Kath

28th November 2011 at 9:53 am

Now I LOVE a mince pie, so one with chocolate in it…drool…

24. Maggie

28th November 2011 at 10:20 pm

A really, really unusual idea. If it works you have invented something here!

25. tori

30th November 2011 at 6:48 pm

Oh I love the idea of this- I’m a sucker for folding mincemeat through ice cream. I think the chocolate would take it to a completely other level. Thank you!

26. Hazel at Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

2nd December 2011 at 11:31 am

I love this idea! I am addicted to mince pies at the moment – eating them everyday! One thing I really love about mince pies is the collection of textures they have. I can only imagine that chocolate adds yet another texture to make it even more exciting. This could be a great idea for your December We Should Cocoa Challenge! 😉

2nd December 2011 at 1:47 pm

Laura – you’ve got me thinking now about warm mince pies and custard or maybe clotted cream mmm

WLM – ah cocoa in the Christmas pudding, mmm. I wonder if my mother would be open to persuasion, she makes the Christmas puddings.

Gloria – thank you – let’s hope so 😉

Wendy – thank you. You know a thing or two about food, so I’ll trust that they it’s going to turn out well.

Kath – no drooling please, but I’ll allow a bit of mouth watering 😉

Maggie – thank you. Time will tell.

Tori – well that’s another first.

Hazel – that’s so true, one person’s mince pie is rarely the same as another’s.