Chocolate Scones for International Scone Week

Scones | 10th August 2011 | By

Back in January, I made my first foray into the world of chocolate and scones with these very tasty chocolate chip scones. Subsequently this lovely recipe, originally for Black Forest Scones, was sent to me by Jane Maile. Jane used to run a tearoom in the Cotswolds and these were one of the treats she regularly baked for her customers. In her own words:

So far these are probably my most unusual scones and cause some surprise which soon turns to ecstasy when they are tasted. Preferably warm from the oven they must be eaten with black cherry jam and lashings of clotted cream – a chocoholic’s delight!

Well it took me a while, but I did eventually get around to making them and coincidentally just in time for Celia’s International Scone Week.

I didn’t exactly follow the recipe and used watered down yogurt rather than milk and lemon juice. But the saddest omission was failing to use cherry jam to top the scones, I didn’t have any to hand, so Black Forest would have been a misnomer.

This is how I made them:

• Put 8oz flour (half spelt, half white), 1.5 oz cocoa powder, 1.5 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
  • Added 2oz unsalted butter and cut this into pieces with a knife.
  • Rubbed the butter into the flour until the mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
  • Stirred in 3oz vanilla (granulated) sugar.
  • Broke a duck egg into a measuring jug and topped up to 1/4 pt with a mixture of half yogurt / half water.
  • Stirred into the dry ingredients then brought the mixture together with my hands.
  • Rolled out on a floured surface to 3/4″ thick and cut into eight 2″ rounds.
  • Placed onto a lined baking tin, brushed the tops with milk and baked for 20 minutes at 190C.
Jane warned that if these scones were too sticky, they would not rise and that extra flour may need to be added. Did I heed her? No. My scones did not rise as much as I’d hoped and they were a little moister than they should have been, but who likes dry scones anyway? And, more importantly, they tasted delicious, especially topped with lashings of clotted cream. I shall have to make these again when I have some cherry jam as I really don’t care to miss out on the ecstatic experience Jane describes. I will of course apply the jam first -tis the true Cornish way.

1. Victoria

10th August 2011 at 8:19 am

oh i love me a good scone….it is pouring today…i need to bake…hmmmmmmm….chocolate will be used….but i don’t know what yet! 🙂

2. A Trifle Rushed

10th August 2011 at 8:11 am

Wow! What an amazing combination, chocolate and scones, sounds like perfection.

3. celia

10th August 2011 at 8:58 am

International Scone Week..hehehe Choc, you and C have made it sound important! Love it! And love the look of your chocolate scones, you’re absolutely right, I’d rather flatter moister scones than well risen drier ones!

4. Karen S Booth

10th August 2011 at 9:43 am

What a GREAT idea, scones with chocolate and why not! They look great and I can imagine that they are amazing with fresh raspberries and cream inside them!
    Karen

10th August 2011 at 1:53 pm

a good chocolate scone recipe is something to treasure – I think there are so rubbish ones out there! Will have to look out for cherry jam (though could you use other fruity jams or just morello cherries?)

10th August 2011 at 6:07 pm

OMG! I can almost taste these babies with cream and strawberries on top!

7. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

10th August 2011 at 6:04 pm

Scone week! I love scone week! And I love your scones Choclette. Oh yes I do!

10th August 2011 at 9:04 pm

Wow, what a great idea. The black cherry jam would just be divine.

9. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

11th August 2011 at 5:34 am

I love the idea of the chocolate scone. Genius really! I may have to thieve this idea for the Gunby tearoom. I also adore your inability to follow a recipe, it’s very endearing and makes it part of the charm of your delightful blog Choclette. Now I’m off to find some cherry jam…

10. Shaheen

11th August 2011 at 6:47 pm

Chocolate scones are new to me. Nice.

11. The Viking

11th August 2011 at 8:35 pm

Chocolate good, scone good, chocolate scone great

12. Baking Addict

11th August 2011 at 10:16 pm

I’ve never seen chocolate scones. These look great! I’m not surprised that there is an international scone week and that you’ve baked for it. I have to admit I’ve never tried making my own scones, perhaps now is the time to start 🙂

13. cityhippyfarmgirl

12th August 2011 at 3:03 am

Oh! Can you imagine with cherry jam!!! Make them again, make them again 🙂

14. Maggie

12th August 2011 at 8:53 pm

New to me this one! I’ll have to make these they are such a great idea.

13th August 2011 at 7:08 am

A Trifle Rushed – I shall be making these again for sure 🙂

Victoria – another damp muggy day for us too.

Celia – well it is important and good scones are so worth celebrating. Thanks for bringing it all together. There is a tendency in some tea shops to bake scones using masses of baking powder so that they are overly risen, dry and taste of bicarb – they are not so much worth celebrating.

Karen – you are so right 🙂

Johanna – well really you could use whatever you like. Actually think the apricot or lime curd would be really good too – without the cream though!

Joanna – what isn’t there to love about a good scone and I’d be more than happy to demolish at least one of each I’ve seen so far.

Chele – even better if you taste them for real 😉

Janice – yes, will have to bnake some again and try it with the real thing!

Dom – ahh excellent, in some vicarious way, I can be part of the Gunby tearoom experience 😉

Shaheen – you’ might even like these, they aren’t at all too sweet.

The Viking – I’m sure you can work on Dom, he sounds half convinced already.

Baking Addict – home made scones can be so good and really they aren’t difficult.

CityHippy – I will

Maggie – do try.

16. C

13th August 2011 at 8:29 am

They look fabulous! I really must try chocolate scones, and all the ideas for topping them with fruity jams sound great, as does your idea of lime curd…. yum!

They just look so dark and inviting. I don’t think I’ll be able to rest until I’ve made some….

17. Gloria

14th August 2011 at 12:00 am

These scones look dleicious! gloria

17th August 2011 at 12:34 pm

C – Let me know what you think if you do make them. A friend gave me some cherry jam, so I’ll need to make them again now – oh what a life!

Gloria – If you like scones and you like chocolate, you can’t fail to like these.

19. Judith Luscombe

31st July 2013 at 7:25 am

Such a simple idea but would never have thought of adding chocolate to scones