Apple Pie with Chocolate Pastry

I’m rubbish at pastry and don’t enjoy making it much, so I rarely make pies and tarts even though I love eating them.  But when I saw this post at 5am Foodie, I immediately wanted to make apple pie and thought I’d better do it quick before I chickened out.  There is something so nostalgic but also comforting about apple pie, it takes me straight back to my mother’s cooking of yesteryear.  I was going to make a straight forward shortcrust pastry, but when it came to it I couldn’t resist making a chocolate version.  So here is how I did it:

• Rubbed 180g unsalted butter into 260g flour (160g white, 100g wholemeal), 20g cocoa, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tbsp caster sugar until mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
  • Added 3 tbsp water and bought mixture together forming it into a ball.
  • Placed this in the fridge and left for a few hours until I was ready to assemble the pie (as I understand it, resting pastry in the fridge before using helps to stop the pastry shrink when cooking).
  • Cut of just over 1/2 and rolled out to line a 9″ (23cm) pie dish
  • Baked this blind at 180C for 10 mins.  It shrank – hey ho, the best laid plans!
  • Peeled, cored and sliced 6 medium sized windfall apples and put them in a bowl.
  • Mixed in a tbsp lemon juice, 100g demerara sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon then left to go slightly syrupy.
  • When pie base had cooled, piled in the apples.
  • Rolled out remaining pastry until large enough to cover the top.
  • Pressed the sides down to meet the pastry base.
  • Cut shapes from remaining pastry and placed on top.  This is where I went slightly wrong, I blithely decided to ignore Michele’s instructions to cut slits in the top to allow the steam to escape!
  • Baked for 30 mins at 180C
Oooh, yum yummy apple pie; it was almost as good as I could have hoped it to be.  Now it’s all over, I can confess that I was a little dubious about apple pie with chocolate pastry – especially my pastry. But I’m pleased to report, it was a great combination, the cocoa giving the pastry a satisfying nutty quality and flavour but in no way overpowering the apple.  The pastry was cooked just right, short and melty in the mouthy.  You can perhaps tell by my language that this did indeed take me back to childhood.  The bit that went slightly wrong was my failure to let the steam out; I had quite a puddle of liquid in the bottom of the pie.  But having pre-cooked the pastry, the bottom didn’t go soggy, nor did it blow up – phew.  We had it hot with cream, then cold with ice cream the next couple of evenings – both ways were delicious.  Do you know what? I might even venture down this road again.
Tags:

1. Nora

31st October 2010 at 9:36 pm

Wowsers, chocolate pastry! Very exciting indeed. I’m rubbish at pastry too (though it should get easier now it’s winter again and my kitchen’s like an ice box!). But I do find that even after it’s fallen apart and been repaired and generally handled too much, it still tastes good – and that’s the main thing. 😀

2. Suelle

31st October 2010 at 10:19 pm

I think I’d be dubious about apple pie with chocolate pastry too – so I’m pleased it worked out so well for you. It certainly looks good!

If you have time to rest the pastry again after lining the pie dish but before trimming it to fit, it can help reduce shrinkage.

I don’t think all the juices will have been from steam which couldn’t escape – a lot of juice comes out of apples when they cook. Even with a steam slit there would still be liquid in the pie filling. You can mix a tablespoon or two of cornflour with the raw apples so that the juices thicken as they cook.

3. Tamanna

1st November 2010 at 12:13 am

lol i m also not a pro at pastry, but enjoy it. did you make the crust with cocoa? looks awesome!

4. cityhippyfarmgirl

1st November 2010 at 2:53 am

Chocolate pastry…brilliant.
    Pastry and I don’t really understand each other but we seem to make do. I thought it was the water content in pastry that made it shrink?…Not sure, but have been dabbling with natural yoghurt pastry lately and I am totally in love!
    Ahh, pies…love them.

5. Alessandra

1st November 2010 at 3:48 am

Uh, I like the idea of apples with chocolate!

First time here, lovely sweet stuff, I am following.

ciao
    Alessandra

6. The Caked Crusader

1st November 2010 at 8:28 am

chocolate pastry – congratulations! YOu have found a way to make pastry even BETTER!

7. 5am Foodie

1st November 2010 at 9:18 am

I too have never ventured into apple + chocolate land, so am glad there are intrepid pioneers like you out there! Excellent that it worked out and made you all nostalgic, like proper comfort food should. I love the cut out designs on the top of the pie.

8. Nicisme

1st November 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m quite good at pastry, but did make a chocolate one once and it wasn’t good. I’ll have to try your one!

9. Kath

1st November 2010 at 9:46 am

I would never have thought about choc pastry with apple pie, it looks delicious and I am glad it turned out well for you. Might try it next time.

10. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

1st November 2010 at 10:48 am

I’ve never made chocolate pastry before, what a brilliant idea, bet it complimented the apples really well, I even bet it would be good with a savoury pie… mmmm the mind boggles!… oooh, we could even do a chocolate and savoury ‘we should cocoa’ one day?

1st November 2010 at 11:39 am

I sympathise with you about pastry – when I tried to make it tomorrow (albeit gf) I was glad my mum arrived to take it over for me – though I would be far more excited about chocolate pastry – yum!

12. Gillian

1st November 2010 at 12:13 pm

Chocolate pastry … you have opened up a whole new world for me!!!

13. Brownieville Girl

1st November 2010 at 5:02 pm

Looks wonderful – love finding ways to get more chocolate into my food!!!!

1st November 2010 at 7:35 pm

Wonderful! Love the idea of adding chocolate to the pastry.

1st November 2010 at 8:37 pm

Nora – thanks and glad your pastry ends up tasting good, mine has been likened to cardboard in the past!

Suelle – thanks for the tips on resting and apple thickening. I’m so used to making crumbles where the topping generally absorbs any liquid.

Tamanna – thanks and yes I made all of the pastry using cocoa.

CityHippy – there are so many pastries to try. I quite fancied trying one with yogurt. Shall watch out to see how you get on. I did make a really good one once using a whole egg.

Alessandra – thanks for kind comment and for following.

CC – thanks, you made me smile.

Michele – thanks. I don’t think I would have embarked on this if it hadn’t been for you.

Nic – maybe mine just tasted good in comparison to what I normally do 🙂

Kath – I’m a bit constrained by the chocolate theme, but it’s made me try all sorts of things I never would have done otherwise and it did work out well on this occasion!

Dom – too right, it would be great in a savoury pie. Anything is open to you for We Should Cocoa, so do try savoury if it fits – although we may well be choosing that as an option sometimes anyway.

Johanna – I’ve time warped and now don’t know if it’s today, tomorrow or last week. Lucky you having your Mother to sort it all out for you – aren’t mothers wonderful.

Gillian – look forward to stepping into your new world.

BVG – thanks, you’re a girl after my own heart.

Chele – thank you. Now I want some of those cute tartlette tins so I can make more chocolate pastry confections.

16. Ananda Rajashekar

2nd November 2010 at 3:13 pm

This is brilliant!

17. Northern Snippet

2nd November 2010 at 5:43 pm

I’ve only made a chocolate pastry once and it wasn’t too good very tough.I think I probably made it with too much cocoa,may try it again was thinking it would be good with blackberries.

2nd November 2010 at 6:36 pm

Ananda – thank you

Northern Snippet – I do not understand the chemistry of pastry – sometimes it seems to work and other times not! Blackberry pie and chocolate pastry sounds good to me though.

19. mangocheeks

2nd November 2010 at 7:27 pm

Sorry I have not been visiting regular.

The chocolate pastry sounds marvellous, though I would choose a different fruit – pears maybe.

20. mr. pineapple man

2nd November 2010 at 8:01 pm

perfect for thanksgiving dessert!

21. oxslip

2nd November 2010 at 9:53 pm

Sounds yummy, Mangocheeks is a girl after my own heart, can’t get enough of pears belle Helene

3rd November 2010 at 7:54 pm

MangoCheeks – a chocolate pear tart – now you’re talking. Please don’t apologise for not visiting – I don’t do half as much visiting as I’d like as never enough time.

Mr Pineapple – thanks, it’s a good one for this time of year.

Oxslip – mmm, poached pears. Any specific way?

23. freerangegirl

3rd November 2010 at 10:24 pm

Mmm chocolate pastry what’s not to love- and a bit of fruit to appease the vitamins! Sounds lush!

24. myspicykitchen

3rd November 2010 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It is very easy to watermark your photos. You can use MS paint or picasa (free from google). There are plenty of free online tutorials that show you how to watermark pictures.

25. Baking Addict

6th November 2010 at 5:29 pm

How imaginative! I love apple pie especially with lashings of custard 🙂 I’ve never tried it with chocolate pastry but now I will have to after seeing your amazing attempt. Thanks!

6th November 2010 at 7:25 pm

FreeRange – always good to get something into the mix I can feel good about.

MySpicyKitchen – thank you for the watermark tip – will have to give it a try

Baking Addict – thanks. After having a look at your cupcakes, I think the imaginative prize goes to you.