Walnut Fudge Brownies

Brownies & Blondies, Cake | 16th September 2010 | By

Having arrived home chocolateless from Ghent and with nothing sweet in the house, it didn’t take me too long to wonder what I could knock up in a hurry.  A quick look through my books for a brownie recipe I haven’t yet tried, revealed these rather gorgeous sounding brownies from Linda Collister’s Divine.

This is how I did it – quickly the one pan way:

• Melted 125g unsalted butter with 100g 85% dark chocolate
  • Stirred in 240g vanilla sugar (or add 1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • Beat in 2 duck eggs.
  • Stirred in 100g flour (85g wholemeal spelt and 15g buckwheat)
  • Stirred in 75g chopped walnuts
  • Poured into a greased 22 cm square tin and baked for 15 mins at 180C
  • Meanwhile …….
  • Melted 100g unsalted butter in the same unwashed pan.
  • Beat in 100g of light muscovado sugar until incorporated.
  • Beat in 2 tbsp double cream
  • Stirred in 75g chopped walnuts
  • Poured this over the not quite cooked brownies and put back in the oven for a further 5 mins.
  • Tried to leave to cool, but couldn’t quite manage it – then cut into 16 squares.
For once I didn’t overcook my brownies, so they were dense and gooey just how I like them.  The fudge topping made them tooth achingly sweet, but sometimes sweet is just what is needed and these exactly hit the spot.  I was in such a hurry to get my teeth into these that I didn’t leave them long enough before cutting so the fudge hadn’t set and oozed all over the place.  Not the prettiest brownie I’ve ever seen, although that is more my fault than theirs, but, oh they were delicious and rather too moreish.
Tags: ,

1. Lucie

16th September 2010 at 8:56 am

Wow Choclette, these look utterly divine!

2. Sushma Mallya

16th September 2010 at 10:14 am

Looks so yum, love brownies..

3. Kath

16th September 2010 at 10:27 am

Oh, that topping has me drooling!! They look very, very moreish.

4. Cats_cupcakes

16th September 2010 at 11:29 am

I love brownies and that topping looks amazing. Im craving something sweet now…will def have to try this recipe!

16th September 2010 at 12:10 pm

Thanks Lucie, Sushma, Kath and Cats – I can confirm these are very moreish indeed – just wish I had some now.

16th September 2010 at 5:27 pm

Can’t beat oozing toffee topping. Sounds and looks very tasty.

7. Ananda Rajashekar

16th September 2010 at 7:16 pm

gooey topping total divine brownie

8. The KitchenMaid

16th September 2010 at 8:27 pm

Oh-oh, I feel like my thighs are expanding just looking at these! Must. Not. Save. Recipe. But. Am. Powerless. To. Resist…

9. Hazel

16th September 2010 at 11:01 pm

I think the messier-looking brownies always taste better 🙂 have you ever tried making brownies with ground almonds instead of flour? I always make them this way as they get super “squidgy-bellied” quoted by Nigella where I found the recipe – divine!

10. cityhippyfarmgirl

17th September 2010 at 2:59 am

Chocolateless and nothing sweet in the house…you poor poor thing…desperate times! Mr Chocolate dreads those days, and wanders the flat like a lost puppy. Thank goodness for quick sweet knock ups

11. Celia

18th September 2010 at 1:22 am

oooh…ahh…must…make…brownies..today!! 🙂

18th September 2010 at 2:14 pm

mmmm fudge on brownie – that is just what I am craving tonight – and I only realised it when I saw this recipe – sounds excellent

13. mangocheeks

18th September 2010 at 7:22 pm

I just love the oozing fudge topping, sliding down the sides. I bet your fingers were all sticky 😀

14. Sophie

18th September 2010 at 10:07 pm

Your walnut brownies are looking to die for,…Really!

Tasty & fab brownies!!!

Kisses from rainy Brussels to you!

19th September 2010 at 4:04 pm

Chele & Ananda – thank you both

KitchenMaid – couldn’t stop giggling after your comment.

Hazel – no, must try that. I’ve used ground almonds as well, but not instead of flour. You’re right, gooey has got to be messy and gooey is good.

CityHippy – oh poor Mr Chocolate, how I feel for him, it’s a tough world out there sometimes:)

Celia – and you make such gorgeous looking brownies too

Johanna – thanks and hope you’re cravings were fulfilled

MangoCheeks – sticky gooey yummy

Thanks Sophie – it’s just about to start raining here too.

16. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

19th September 2010 at 5:22 pm

I feel fat and my cheeks are salivating… and that’s just from looking at the picture!

17. vincent

19th September 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

18. Jacqueline

20th September 2010 at 8:46 am

Mmmmmmm, those look gooey and sumptious 😛

21st September 2010 at 9:15 am

Dom – lay off the chocolate lust – no getting fat before your big day!

Jac – they were indeed gooey and sumptuous.

20. oxslip

21st September 2010 at 8:11 pm

Chocolateless from Ghent – sounds like your generosity is greater than mine to have given it all away. As ever these look great, planning your choc/cardamom shortbread for the weekend though I’m *meant* to be on a diet, but it’s a friend’s birthday so I’ll stretch the rules a bit

22nd September 2010 at 1:26 pm

Oxslip – I didn’t bring that much back, so not as generous as you make out. Everyday, I plan the diet that is going to start tomorrow – sigh!. Hope the shortbread works out well – I really liked them with cinnamon too.

22. Maya Russell

28th July 2013 at 5:42 am

I suppost the sticky topping means you have to eat them straight away. Oh dear!!! 🙂

23. Tracy K Nixon