Another post which is a little tardy in surfacing.
It was that time of year again and as custom requires, I was due to bring in cakes for my work colleagues. I try to do something different each year, this is what I managed last year. For the vegan at work, I made Vegan Chocolate and Courgette Cupcakes, which I will post about shortly. One of my newly acquired birthday items was Bake and Decorate by Fiona Cairns, a book I became aware of through reading Oxslip’s eclectic blog. Once seen, it was only a matter of time before I got my sticky mitts on it. From this book I made a Lemon Crunch Cake and the Family Chocolate Cake.
- Poured 140ml of just off the boil water over 100g 70% dark chocolate and left to melt.
- Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 275g muscovado sugar for ages until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 3 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla essence.
- Stirred the chocolate until smooth then added this to the cake mixture along with 2 large tablespoons of TOTAL Greek yogurt (which I’d substituted for buttermilk).
- Sifted in 200g flour (half wholemeal and half white) with 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp bicarb of soda and folded into the batter.
- At this point I should have added 100g of ground almonds, but stupidly I forgot – how extremely annoying!
- Spooned into two 21cm cake thingies and baked at 180C for 30 mins.
- Melted 100g 70% dark chocolate with 40g unsalted butter.
- Stirred in 1 tbsp golden syrup and 2 tbsp muscovado sugar.
- Whisked in 150ml double cream until mixture was thick enough to use.
- Spread half the mixture onto one cake, topped with the other cake and the rest of the icing.
- Decorated with minstrels