Green Tea & White Chocolate Cupcakes

Cupcakes, Tea | 30th July 2010 | By

Following on from last week’s post and my quest to win some matcha tea for Matcha Madness, I am entering again with these green tea cupcakes. The inspiration for these came from these wonderful looking cupcakes at The Catty Life.  I have attempted to emulate matcha as best I can using the Japanese tea I had mistaken for matcha powder last week.  It is also CTs birthday tomorrow, so these double as his birthday cakes. Green tea brings back happy memories of his time in Japan, so these  seem particularly apt.

• Melted 60g white chocolate (Green & Blacks).
  • Ground 2 tsp Japanese tea then left to infuse in 2 tbsp boiling water.
  • Creamed 50g unsalted butter with 125g vanilla sugar.
  • Beat in a duck egg.
  • Beat in chocolate.
  • Sifted in 125g flour (50g wholemeal, 50g white, 25g buckwheat), 1 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp bicarb of soda.
  • Stirred in 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt and the tea plus water.
  • Spooned into 12 muffin cases and baked at 180C for 20 mins.
  • Warmed 125ml double cream and stirred in 1 tsp Japanese green tea.  Left to infuse for an hour.
  • Strained cream then brought to boil and poured over 40g white chocolate.
  • Stirred until combined then left to cool.
  • Whipped mixture until thick enough to spread on top of the cupcakes.
  • Topped off with Japanese sugar decorations.

This did not give the bright green that I was hoping for, but the shade was nevertheless distinctly green.  The sponge was light and moist with a good crumb structure.   It was delicious with a subtle hint of tea lingering on the palate.  The flavour was echoed nicely by the ganache topping. Combined with the richness of the white chocolate, it was first class according to CT, who snaffled a pre-birthday taster.

1. Gillian

30th July 2010 at 6:53 pm

They look adorable. I love your icing and decorations – simple and elegant.

To my shame, I’ve never had matcha tea. But with all the talk of truffles, cakes and buns I might just have to seek it out.

2. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

30th July 2010 at 6:55 pm

I agree, they do look so pretty… how does the tea taste… is it quite subtle?

3. Рафаэлла

30th July 2010 at 7:30 pm

I’ve read several recipes of cakes with green tea. It is time to bake! ))))

4. Suman Singh

30th July 2010 at 7:45 pm

cupcake looks so pretty and delicious..great recipe!

5. Joanna

30th July 2010 at 11:55 pm

More stunning cakes! Happy Birthday to your CT!

31st July 2010 at 7:50 am

Fantastic looking cupcakes – as per usual! I really must find me some of this matcha powder!

7. Sushma Mallya

31st July 2010 at 8:38 am

Thats a very unusual combo but looks so good..

8. Hazel

31st July 2010 at 8:46 am

What a brilliant and concise description, they sounds absolutely divine! Love that there is an added richness with the white chocolate.

9. Helen (Fuss Free Flavours)

31st July 2010 at 10:18 am

Lovely, and a great way round no matcha.

How do the duck eggs taste in cakes? I usally bake without eggs as I prefer the non eggy taste. I can’t imagine it.

10. oxslip

31st July 2010 at 5:37 pm

Happy birthday CT
    I think the colour is a real success, subtle natural trumps acid bright anytime. There is no entry on matcha or any sort of tea in The Flavour Thesaurus (though I got distracted by a very interesting entry on thyme and chocolate), but white chocolate sounds like a perfect foil for its grassy flavour. Yum.

11. celia

31st July 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’m loving all the gorgeous greens on your cakes! Happy birthday to your fella! 🙂

12. cityhippyfarmgirl

1st August 2010 at 12:00 am

Looks like a lovely way to celebrate a birthday. Delicious on one side and a happy memory on the other.

1st August 2010 at 12:22 pm

Gillian – thank you, my cakes don’t get called elegant very often so I’m well pleased with that appellation. I’m sure matcha truffles would be a real taste sensation on your market stall.

Dom – the tea is quite subtle in these ones. Both I and CT could taste it because we were familiar with the flavour, but my mother who wasn’t didn’t recognise it. Luckily, she did pronounce it to be delicious.

Raffaella – look forward to seeing what you bake.

Joanna – thank you. He did have a good birthday – got to see a great garden he’s never been to before – Coleton Fishacre.

Thanks Chele – You shouldn’t have a problem getting hold of it in Edinburgh?

Sushma – thank you. As you know I quite like experimenting with unusual flavours.

Hazel – thank you, Now I’ve tried it, I can vouch for it being a very good combination.

Oxslip – now you’ve got me thinking about thyme and chocolate – hummm! CT enjoyed his birthday, as did I. He did have a good birthday – got to see a lovely garden he’s never been to before – Coleton Fishacre.

Celia – thank you. He had a great day. Green cake is not something I would have thought I’d have enjoyed in the past – now I think it looks really interesting.

CittyHippy – thank you. It’s certainly fun to have an added dimension to a cake.

14. Damaris

2nd August 2010 at 3:58 am

white chocolate is the bomb. have you ever had white chocolate honey mousse? it’s the bomb times a hundred.

15. Esme

2nd August 2010 at 4:48 am

These look lovely-thank you for stopping by.

16. mummy24

12th March 2013 at 4:47 pm

Quite often drink green tea – would be interested to try these!

17. Maya Russell

16th March 2013 at 6:55 am

The cakes look quite green. Would like to try these too.

18. Tracy K Nixon

14th August 2013 at 3:48 am

Now these are a little bit different! ‘Green Tea’ in my mind equals ‘healthy’! So who could say no to a cupcake made with green tea!

19. Maya Russell

17th December 2013 at 6:43 am

Does the healthiness in green tea come through when you eat one of these cupcakes? Doesn’t matter, I’ll make them anyway as they look great!