Chocolate Pancakes – Venezuelan Black meets Cornish White

Pancakes & Waffles, Pudding | 16th February 2010 | By

It’s Pancake Day, also known as Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras, which is just a fancy way of saying Fat Tuesday. What could be more fattening than pancakes, especially those filled with chocolate and clotted cream?

I have a block of Willie’s Venezuelan Black 100% cocoa which has been lurking in the cupboard for some time now. I say lurking, because I’ve been feeling rather shame faced about my uncertainty as to what to do with it. However, on the train home this evening I had a bright idea – pancakes! Grating some of Willie’s cocoa into and on top of the pancakes would add a twist to the traditional lemon and sugar. When I got home, CT reminded me that we had some clotted cream in the fridge – ooohhh.

So, CT made the pancakes and I grated on some cocoa, sprinkled on a wee bit of Demerara sugar and a squeeze of lemon then spooned on a healthy dollop of organic Cornish Clotted Cream. Rolled them up, grated on a bit more cocoa and then wolfed them down.

This was a heavenly match of bitter black and creamy white. I hadn’t had Willie’s cocoa before and boy was it powerful. It says 100% on the packet and I believe it. A little goes a very long way, which is just as well as this is a gourmet product with a price to match.

1. Kath

16th February 2010 at 8:26 pm

A very nice way of eating your shrove pancake. Hard to beat I should say. I am a bit ambiguous about Willie’s chocolate. I have tried a few varieties now and I find them to be a bit grainy. Maybe it’s just me though. I feel bad not loving them as I feel I should.

16th February 2010 at 9:15 pm

Kath there’s enough worrying to do about chocolate without feeling bad about that. Like what you enjoy and be proud of it. What chocolate would you recommend?

3. Lucie

16th February 2010 at 9:18 pm

I have not heard of Willie’s Cocoa, perfect way to use it. Looks yummy.

4. e

16th February 2010 at 9:44 pm

Very nice blog…I came over from Mangocheeks after noticing a comment you made about having a librarian’s practised eye…

Nice to meet another librarian!

5. mangocheeks

16th February 2010 at 9:48 pm

Thats so funny Choclette.

When I was in Edinburgh, I saw blocks of Willies cocoa and then saw the price. I was still going to get this gourmet product, but then decided against it – the reason like yours what was I going to with with it!?

But pancakes, yeah what a great idea with clotted cream, even better.

6. Kath

17th February 2010 at 7:35 am

Well I can tell you that I have eaten some chocolate in my time! I would love to say Vahlrona, but I can never (or should I say rarely) quite bring myself to spend that much money on a bar of chocolate. At the moment I tend to use Lindt 70% cocoa when I cook. Like you I have noticed that the quality of Green & Black’s has diminished a lot, but I didn’t realise the reasons for it until I read your post about it. Now I am worried about how obsessed I am with chocolate!! Worry, worry worry.

7. Issy

17th February 2010 at 8:15 am

I’m in love!

8. nic @ nipitinthebud

17th February 2010 at 8:53 am

just goes to show that the finest ingredients go a long way in the taste department. Like the kitchen team work too :o)

9. Suelle

17th February 2010 at 9:07 am

I’d have been tempted to use cherry jam in those pancakes rather than lemon – I’m not convinced about lemon and chocolte together. It sounds a good use of Willie’s Cacao, while you’re looking for a recipe to make good use of it. I love this product, although I only buy it for celebratory occasions such as birthdays and Christmas. It’s far too expensive for everyday use, unless you restrict yourself to a sparing use of it. You should try some of his own recipes for it, as it’s not that easy to adapt other chocolate recipes to use it!

17th February 2010 at 8:43 pm

Lucie – he has a book which is on my wish list – I’ve heard lots of good things about it. He also had a tv series I believe all about his chocolate factory in Devon and his Chocolate plantation in Venezuela but as I don’t have a TV, I didn’t get to see it.

e – good to hear from another librarian indeed. Hope to hear from you again.

Mangocheeks – yes I ummed and ahhed over the chocolate when I saw it. The price is quite a hefty one – that’s part of the reason I’ve been rather scared to use it. I have heard others say that you can make several things with one block of chocolate

Kath – You are one up on me, I still haven’t tried Vahlrona. I think I really ought to just take a deep breath and stick a bar in my basket next time I see it.

Issy – with Willie?

Nic – used to do a lot of team kitchen work, but the kitchen we have now is a galley kitchen with a very small galley and we have found it generally more harmonious to matrimonial relations if we only have one person in there at a time! With the odd exception of course.

Suelle – you’re right, lemon, chocolate and clotted cream don’t sound an ideal combination, but strangely it seemed to work with the pancakes Yes I have got my eye on the cloud forest cake you have made. I’ve been tempted to get the book for ages and I can feel I’m getting nearer the point when I shall finally succumb..

18th February 2010 at 5:42 pm

I missed out on pancake day this year owing to my college course ;0(
    Will be remembering this idea for next year though lol. Yum!

18th February 2010 at 8:34 pm

Chele – And there I was waiting to see what sort of pancakes you’d made!

13. Cinnamon-Girl♥

19th February 2010 at 12:59 am

These sound so decadent with the chocolate and clotted cream! Heavenly!

14. figjamandlimecordial

19th February 2010 at 4:41 am

Great idea! The gorgeous Zeb sent me two blocks of Willie’s cacao, and I still have one left…

15. Hannah

19th February 2010 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog – I feel like I just discovered a second Christmas, having found a blog all about cooking with chocolate!! Am bookmarking and coming back soon :o)

16. Foodycat

20th February 2010 at 4:19 pm

Oh wow! Chocolate and clotted cream in a pancake! It’s a lovely looking pancake too. Mine rarely have that perfect lightly speckled with brown look.

20th February 2010 at 6:28 pm

Cinnamon Girl – yes the clotted cream was an inspiration, just lucky we had some in the fridge.

Celia – thank you for reminding me where it was I saw 3 recipes made with one block of Willie’s cocoa.

Hannah – glad the feelings were reciprocated.

FoodieCat – having just burnt a pan with the savoury filling designed to go in our pancakes just beforehand, we were very pleased to manage near perfect pancakes when it came to making those.

18. Jagruti

20th February 2010 at 6:39 pm

Hi
    first time here..stumbled down from another blogroll…oh boy! you have a great collection of recipes..making me drool..I’ll come back for more..following you..;-))

20th February 2010 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Jagruti – glad you found my blog.