Chestnut & Chocolate Cupcakes

Cupcakes | 5th January 2010 | By

Yesterday afternoon we were going to friends for tea so I was presented with another opportunity to make something chocolatey. I was rather inspired by the white chocolate cupcakes at Chocolate Teapot and thought I would make these. However, I was also inspired by the chestnut and chocolate combination over at Mainly Baking and I remembered I had some leftover chestnut puree that needed using up – the white chocolate cupcakes would have to wait for another day.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 4oz Rapadura (or use ordinary sugar) with 4oz unsalted butter.
  • Stirred in 2 heaped tbsp chestnut puree.
  • Beat in 2 eggs.
  • Sieved in 5oz flour (1/2 wholemeal, 1/2 white spelt), 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tbsp cocoa.
  • Mixed in 2 tbsp yogurt.
  • Spooned mixture into 12 cupcake cases and baked at 180C (gas 4) for 17 mins.
  • Melted 100g bar 35% milk chocolate with 2 tbsp chestnut puree and 2 tbsp double cream.
  • Stirred until smooth, then spooned on top of the cooled cupcakes.
  • Scattered some toasted almond flakes over the top.
We ended up having a veritable feast of cake as a carrot cake and a lemon cake had also been made. CT is fast regaining the weight that he’s lost over the last couple of months. The cupcakes were divine – a lovely moist consistency with a clearly discernible chestnut flavour and the icing was totally delicious. Yum, yum, will be making these again.
Tags:

1. Kath

4th January 2010 at 8:48 pm

These look really delicious, you have been busy this week. Have you had chance to try out your bread making skills over Christmas?

4th January 2010 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Kath

I’m still on my Christmas hols so doing a bit of catching up. Haven’t got around to the bread yet, but will definitely be doing so before the week is out.

3. Suelle

4th January 2010 at 10:32 pm

These are lovely looking cupcakes, Choclette. I think chestnut is quite a subtle flavour, so you did well not to overwhelm it with the chocolate.

4. Lucie

5th January 2010 at 8:18 pm

Oooh these look wonderful. I am impressed by how much baking you get done, I must get back in the kitchen next week! Lucie

5. SWEET SOUL CREATION

6th January 2010 at 8:11 am

Those look so wonderful my oldest daughter will love these!! The black-peas can be made without meat. Just cook in vegetable broth and enjoy!

6th January 2010 at 6:22 pm

Tough choice but using up leftovers totally takes priority lol. I’m going to have to get me some chestnut puree so i can try these, they look fantastic!

7. Kitchen Butterfly

6th January 2010 at 7:48 pm

Sounds yummy, with the chestnuts and the wholegrains….fantastic

8. Simply Life

8th January 2010 at 11:54 am

oh wow, those look amazing!

9. Pam

8th January 2010 at 8:15 pm

I’ve never thought of adding chestnuts to cupcakes – they look really delicious.

10. mangocheeks

9th January 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hey Choclette,
    If you don’t mind me asking ‘Where did you get your muffin cases from?’ as I’m interested in getting some.

9th January 2010 at 4:43 pm

Hi Mangocheeks

I actually got them in a cookshop in Truro – it was a tub of 100 in 4 colours, purple, green, orange and red. On the container it says: Easybake 100 Muffin cases – N J Products Ltd, Birstall WF17 9LU I’m sure any good cookshop would sell these or something similar or they could be found on the internet. I’m just wishing I’d bought more when I saw them as nearly run out now and I don’t go to Truro very often.

9th January 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments – have to say these were particularly delicious cupcakes and I will be making these again.

13. Foodycat

9th January 2010 at 6:19 pm

Cute! Those biscuits on Mainly Baking looked so good, didn’t they?

9th January 2010 at 6:44 pm

They most certainly did Foodycat – will try and make them sometime.

15. Kristen @ Change of Pace

9th January 2010 at 7:30 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad thing!!! Everything looks UNBELIEVABLE. I’m so excited to see what you post next 🙂

10th January 2010 at 6:40 pm

Hi Kristen

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment – hope to see you again.

17. The Cottage Garden Farmer

12th January 2010 at 10:58 pm

These sound delish, and a good way for me to use up my Brazilain rapadura that’s still sitting in the pantry.

18. Aino

20th September 2010 at 8:16 pm

Looks delicious! I will have to try these. I’ve been trying to come up with ways to use chestnuts.

21st September 2010 at 8:07 am

Cottage Garden – I wonder if you have used that rapadura yet?

Aino – it’s soon coming to that time of year where it’s almost obligatory to have chestnuts. I do remember these as being very good.

20. Maya Russell

1st April 2013 at 6:41 am

I’ve just given an old packet of chestnuts to the birds (they were over a year past their best date!). Now I know what to do with them in future.

21. Cornishgirl

7th March 2014 at 9:01 am

These look lovely – I love chestnuts and chestnut puree is delicious!

22. Kate Hackworthy

28th May 2014 at 7:10 am

Goodness, these sound so good!