White Chocolate & Strawberry Cake
Tis the strawberry season – hoorah! So, with a picnic in mind, what could I do but make another strawberry cake. I’d actually been long awaiting the opportunity to try a rather gorgeous looking cake in Divine. I mostly managed to follow the recipe, although I creamed the mixture rather than whisked it (reluctantly been well and truly won over by this method) and accidentally added a bit more sugar than I should have done.
This is what I did:
- Melted 150g white chocolate (used Green & Black’s as this is still the best I’ve come accross).
- Creamed together 200g unsalted butter with 175g soft brown sugar.
- Beat in the slightly cooled chocolate together with 3 duck eggs and the grated zest of 1/2 an orange (I only use organic lemons and oranges for this as I don’t trust what is otherwise sprayed onto the skins).
- Folded in 200g sifted flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 white spelt) and 1 heaped tsp baking powder.
- Divided this mixture between 2 23cm cake thingies (again rather too big for this quantity, but I use what I’ve got) and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 20 mins.
- Washed a punnet of strawberries and left to drain.
- Selected 12 of the best looking strawberries and sliced the remainder into a bowl.
- Added juice and grated zest of 1/2 orange and mixed in 1 heaped tsp granulated sugar.
- Melted 40g white chocolate.
- Whipped 200ml double cream until stiff.
- Mixed in slightly cooled chocolate.
- Spooned strawberries and juice over one of the sponges, then covered with cream and placed remaining sponge on top.
- Quartered the remaining strawberries and decorated the top.
- Covered the whole thing with 10g grated chocolate.
Yummy as this cake was, I have to say it wasn’t as good as last week’s offering. My feeling is that the fruit and cream are better offset by dark chocolate. But we all enjoyed strawberries and cream outside AND the weather was fantastic! What could be better?