Orange and Strawberry Chocolate Cake
I had some strawberries and I had a birthday cake to make, so following the path of least resistance, I combined the two. Couldn’t easily find a chocolate cake recipe using strawberries, so I made this one up.
- Melted 100g dark chocolate flavoured with orange and spices (I used Co-op’s Fairtrade, but I expect Maya Gold would work really well).
- Creamed 200g butter with 200g light muscovado sugar.
- Mixed in chocolate and 3 duck eggs
- Stirred in 200g flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 white spelt) and 1 tsp baking powder
- Stirred in 3 tbsp milk
- Divided mixture into 2 23cm cake thingies (smaller ones would have been better, but I only have a single one at 21 cm) and baked for 25 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
- Washed a punnet of strawberries and left to drain.
- Selected 8 of the best looking strawberries and sliced the remainder into a bowl.
- Stirred in 1 tbsp orange liqueur and a sprinkling of caster sugar.
- Whipped 200ml double cream & combined with strawberries.
- Used this to sandwich the two cakes together, then sifted some icing sugar over the top of the cake and decorated with the selected strawberries cut into halves.