Ginger and Chocolate Chunk Cake

Loaf Cakes, Quick | 1st March 2009 | By

Having said I’m not a great fan of chocolate chip cakes, I’ve just gone and made another one! The sun has been shining today and given that we haven’t had much in the way of blue skies recently, I didn’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen. Humm – what to make where speed is of the essence? I very quickly decided to have a go at the Stem Ginger and Chocolate Chunk Cake recipe from Linda Collister’s Divine. Being a big fan of ginger, it was this ingredient that sold it to me. Of course I didn’t have any stem ginger, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.

Here is what I did:

Melted 3oz unsalted butter with 2oz muscovado sugar, 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp treacle in a large pan. Into this I mixed 8oz wholemeal flour, large pinch of salt, 1 tsp bicarb of soda, 1 large egg and 100ml milk. Lastly I stirred in 3oz of crystallised ginger – roughly chopped and 100g of milk chocolate (Green & Black’s is a good one) also roughly chopped. Poured this into a 2lb greased loaf tin and baked for 40 mins at 180°C.

I wasn’t disappointed. The house smelt wonderfully of honey – as did the cake. The cake was moist, had a good texture and tasted great.

1. Anonymous

1st March 2009 at 9:14 pm

MMmm – sounds good. Also I thought you might be interested in a recipe my cousin gave me for a rich flourless chocolate cake (suitable for people with glutin intolerance?) Anyway it goes as follows:
    200g chocolate
    200g ground almonds
    200g butter
    150g sugar
    4 eggs
    Cream butter and sugar. Separate eggs and add egg yolks and then ground almond (meanwhile you have melted the chocolate). When chocolate has cooled add to mixture. Beat egg whites till firm peaks and fold in. Cook in mid oven gas mark 3 or 4 for 40 mins to 1 hour. I don’t remember if I have cooked it exactly like this but this is how she wrote it down for me and it has always been good (except once when I burnt it).

2. Anonymous

2nd March 2009 at 10:49 am

I’ve eaten all of the recipes published on this site and can truthfully say that I fully support Choclette in her selfless efforts to popularise the joy of cooking with choclate. The latest one, the ginger and chocolate chunk cake was delicious – moist fragrant and filling.

2nd March 2009 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely give this a go at some point. It sounds delicious and also simple. Great idea giving me additional recipes to try. It will be interesting to see which ones become firm favourites in the future.

4. Mimi

9th March 2009 at 11:42 pm

Chocolate and ginger is one of the best combinations there is.

The only obstacle I can predict is the treacle barrier. Its possible to buy in LA but I’m always mystified that there doesn’t seem to be an american equivilent, even though the US has its own history of sugar cane plantations.

23rd March 2009 at 5:34 pm

How strange. Can you get hold of molasses – that probably works even better?

6. Cupcaker

9th March 2013 at 4:56 pm

I am definitely going to give this recipe a go, it sounds delicious

7. JaynesDen

15th March 2013 at 11:07 am

The perfect recipe for me. I adore stem ginger !