Surprise Easter Egg Cupcakes
Who doesn’t love a good Easter egg hunt? Well, I’m not actually sure I’ve ever been on one, but I love the idea and I’ve certainly witnessed a few with the excited squeals of children ringing in my ears. So when I was asked to create an Easter recipe for Sainsbury’s, I thought I’d hide a few Easter eggs inside some cupcakes.
Simnel cake is one of the culinary delights of Easter for me. Never mind the icing on the cake, it is that squidgy layer of half cooked marzipan sandwiched between the cakes which really does it for me. However, it’s not always the most popular of Easter fare and I wanted to make something that everyone would enjoy. Marzipan was a must and it makes a perfect partner for chocolate, but I felt a more subtle use of it was required on this occasion; I grated it into the cake batter and used it as the main flavouring along with lemon and a hint of cardamom.Scroll down to the bottom of the post to find the recipe.
For my hidden surprise, I chose solid mini dark and milk chocolate eggs from Sainsbury’s. To cater to varied tastes, I cunningly used different coloured cupcake cases to denote which eggs were contained within.
CT likened these to Bakewell tarts, but with chocolate rather than jam. For me they were a cake version of chocolate coated marzipan, but not so in your face. The marzipan flavours were there and gave a sticky enticing texture to the cakes, making them rather moreish. The chocolate caramelised slightly at the base creating a delicious crunchy layer.
Great for children and adults alike, these would be ideal for Easter picnics or an Easter afternoon tea. Shhh, don’t mention the hidden eggs and wait for the squeals of delight. This is an Easter hunt where everyone’s a winner.
Other Easter Cupcakes you might like are:
- Amaretto Easter Cupcake with Crystallised Flowers here on Tin and Thyme
- Hot Cross Easter Mini Cupcakes at Jen’s Food
- Nettle Lemon & White Chocolate Cupcakes here on Tin and Thyme
- Easy Easter Nest Cupcakes on Jo’s Kitchen
If you didn’t mind spoiling the surprise, these would be fun cakes to make with the kids for Easter. As such, I am sending them off to Lou at Eat Your Veg and Vanesther at Bangers & Mash for Family Foodies where the theme this month is Let’s Get Baking.
I haven’t sent anything off to Emily at A Mummy Too for ages, so here these go to #RecipeOfTheWeek.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 80g golden caster sugar (I used cardamom sugar)
- 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs (I use duck eggs)
- 125g flour - half wholemeal, half plain white
- 1 scant tsp baking powder
- 125g marzipan - grated
- 12 Sainsbury's Swiss chocolate milk and dark mini eggs
- 25g dark chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- 60g icing sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp water
- 12 tiny chocolate eggs
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Grate in the zest from the lemon and beat a bit more.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mix along with the juice from half the lemon.
- Stir in the marzipan until just mixed.
- Place a teaspoon of the mixture in twelve cupcake cases. Sit the chocolate eggs on top, then cover with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake at 180℃ for 20 minutes when the cakes should be risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove the the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a pan over gently heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in the icing sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth and creamy adding the water towards the end.
- Use the icing to create 'nests' on top of the cakes and place an egg in the nest.
- Use different colour cases to mark what type of egg used - milk, dark, or white.