Test Your Mettle with this Nettle Tonic
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I am having such fun with my Froothie super speed blender. Mostly, I’ve only used it so far for making smoothies, but smoothies I’d never have been able to make in my old blender. I’ve already posted about my kefir raw cacao and goji berry smoothie. Today I thought I’d try nettles.
At this time of year, after the dark days of winter and hearty food, I start craving nettles. They are said to be a blood cleanser and general spring tonic. They have long been used in herbal medicine and are meant to be helpful in easing or curing arthritis, asthma, bladder infections, gout, kidney stones and many other ailments. Luckily, spring is the ideal time to pick nettles, you want them young and tender. Just pick the tips (top 4 leaves). If you go out foraging for nettles, do try to pick them off road so they are not polluted and away from dog activity would be good too. I’m a bit of a wuss and require gloves when picking, but CT does the manly thing and plucks them with his bare hands. The theory is, if you grasp the nettles firmly, they won’t sting you, especially when they are young. Usually, I use nettles to make soups and use as a general spinach type substitute in dishes, I have never eaten them raw before – until now.
I was a little tentative when taking the first sip, just in case the stings were still active, but not at all. It was beautifully smooth. It had a slight bitter note and tasted like it was good for you, but it was by no means unpleasant and I shall most certainly be repeating the experiment.
- 750 ml coconut milk (or milk of your choice).
- small handful of nettles
- 4 medjool dates
- 1 heaped teaspoon of pumpkin seed butter (or use nut butter of your choice)
- 1 tsp of barley grass powder
- Place everything in a blender and whiz at high speed for 20 seconds.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy.
- Serves 2 in 500ml glasses, 4 in 250ml glasses and 8 in 125ml glasses.
- Blueberry and Blood Orange Smoothie | Recipes From A Pantry - […] Nettle smoothie by Tin and Thyme. […]
- Weekend links and photos | Simple Bites - […] Spring Tonic Nettle Smoothie :: Tin and Thyme […]
- Just Cooking News / Weekend links and photos - […] Spring Tonic Nettle Smoothie :: Tin and Thyme […]
- Weekend links and photos | Food Freaks - […] Spring Tonic Nettle Smoothie :: Tin and Thyme […]
- Top 10 Green Smoothies | The Balanced Vegan - […] 6. Spring Tonic Nettle Smoothie […]