Wensleydale and Cranberry Chocolate Muffins

Christmas, Small Cakes | 28th December 2013 | By

Wensleydale Muffins

I always try and make the boys next door something for Christmas as a thank you for uncomplainingly taking in our parcels throughout the year. Seeing some cranberry Wensleydale cheese for sale recently, I remembered how good the Wensleydale apple cake I made last year was and thought I should perhaps try it out in some muffins. I found this recipe on the Yorkshire Dales Cheese Co website and adapted it accordingly.

So, this is how I made:

Wensleydale and Cranberry Chocolate Muffins

• Sifted 225g flour, 50g drinking chocolate, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of rock salt into a bowl.
  • Stirred in 110g golden caster sugar.
  • Crumbled in 125g Wensleydale cheese with cranberries.
  • Peeled, cored and finely chopped one small apple and stirred this into the mix.
  • Made a well in the centre and broke in 2 smallish eggs.
  • Added 90 ml Mrs Middleton’s cold pressed rapeseed oil and 200 ml sour milk (ordinary milk should be fine or add a tsp of lemon juice to the milk and leave to stand for a few minutes).
  • Stirred until just combined.
  • Spooned into 12 muffin cases and baked at 180°C for 22 minutes when risen and firm to the touch.
The muffins had a lovely light texture and a nutty taste from the oil. The apple gave additional moistness and the cheese made for a richer more satisfying mouth feel. Easy, quick, delicious and nutritious these would make an excellent brunch dish for all those Christmas visitors.

Not very elegant perhaps, but these would make great snack food for keeping the cold at bay whilst seeing in the New Year at some favourite spot out in the wilds, as we have been known to do. A flask of hot mulled wine to accompany them would not go amiss either. As such I am submitting these to Emily’s Recipe of the Week over at A Mummy Too, which is all about New Year’s Eve Nibbles.

1. belleau kitchen

28th December 2013 at 9:20 am

what a lovely thank you and such pretty and colourful muffins… loving the cheese and chocolate hit too… happy new year x

2. Charlene F

28th December 2013 at 1:03 pm

What an interesting twist on a classic cheese pairing. Happy new year and I look forward to all your posts in 2014 xx

3. Susan Lindquist

28th December 2013 at 1:45 pm

These DO look delicious … Wensleydale with cranberries is all the rage in our area right now … a year or two back, one couldn’t find it anywhere but in the city shops. How interesting to pair it with chocolate!

4. Baking Addict

28th December 2013 at 10:22 pm

I’ve made a wensleydale & cranberry cheese and apple cake previously which was a real hit but have not though about pairing it with chocolate. What a great idea!

5. prwilson

29th December 2013 at 2:58 am

Wow, Wensleydale AND Cranberry AND Chocolate – super muffin!

6. Katie

29th December 2013 at 8:31 am

I’d never have though of this combo but I can image it working really well, especially with the cranberries

7. Alida

30th December 2013 at 6:33 pm

Very nice these muffins.This is perfect for the Christmas festivities with the cranberrys.
    I wish you all the best for the new year! XX

8. AMummyToo

4th January 2014 at 10:23 pm

I love the sound of these. Really, really want to try one! Thanks very much for joining in with #recipeoftheweek. I’ve Pinned and tweeted this post and there’s a fresh linky live now. Please do join in! 😀