Fig, White Chocolate and Mascarpone Tarts
September is a month of abundance, or at least it is in my mother’s garden this year. We went foraging there a few days ago to see what we could find. As well as gathering lots of windfall apples, a big bowl of blackberries, some plums and a few blueberries, we came home with four ripe figs.
I’ve already made a few jars of bramble and apple jelly and these blackberry and apple cupcakes. I have plans for the plums and blueberries and after a quick consultation with Love Bake Nourish by Amber Rose, I decided to make an adapted version of her fig and mascarpone tarts. I altered quantities a bit and apart from the mascarpone, the filling I came up with is quite different.
This is how I made:
Fig, Mascarpone and White Chocolate Tarts
- Whizzed 250g spelt flour (half wholemeal, half white), a pinch of salt, 90g of cubed unsalted butter, grated zest of an organic lemon and 25g cardamom (caster) sugar in a food processor until mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
- Added an egg and a couple of tbsp cold water & whizzed again.
- Gathered mixture together with my hands and formed a ball. Placed it in a plastic bag and popped into the fridge for half an hour.
- Rolled the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin and cut out circles to fill ten 10cm tart tins.
- Baked at 180C for about 15 minutes until just golden. Set aside to cool.
- Quartered 4 figs and placed into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Dotted a little knob of butter over each quarter, then drizzled with a little thyme honey.
- Roasted in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Melted 100g of chopped vanillary white chocolate (G&B) in a pan over hot water. Set aside to cool a little.
- Stirred 250g mascarpone in a bowl, then added the chocolate and stirred until smooth.
- Divided the chocolate mixture between 6 of the tart cases (leaving 4 to do something else with).
- Topped with 2 or 3 fig quarters and some of the syrupy juice.
- Simple Fig Jam - Fab Food 4 All - […] Fig, White Chocolate and Mascarpone Tarts – Tin & Thyme […]
- Fig and Prosciutto Sandwiches with Whipped Cheese and Honey - - […] Fig White Chocolate and Marscapone Tarts from Tin and Thyme […]