Chococo Brownies and Matcha Madeleines

Last weekend saw me very busy with a mammoth bake for a friend’s birthday party. When asked if I could make some cakes to bring along, the only request made was for small cakes that were easy to eat and weren’t cupcakes. It took me a while to come up with some ideas. I wanted to include lots of different flavours, textures and colours. Eventually I got there. Sometimes I find it hard to get hold of good quality free range eggs. Luckily, I had plenty of organic ones from Penbugle Farm which I’d been given to use.

Brownies just had to be on the menu. I decided to use a recipe from my newest chocolate book Chococo which CT bought for me as a Valantines surprise. This uses far less sugar than is normal in brownies, but the author Claire Burnet claims that they are still sweet and delicious. I Swapped the pecans for walnuts, the rice flour for buckwheat flour and made a few other adjustments.

This is how I made:

Walnut Brownies

• Melted 150g unsalted butter with 225g 70% dark chocolate in a pan over low heat, then left to cool.
  • Whisked 125g dark brown sugar with 3 large organic eggs. 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp fleur de sel using electric beaters until mixture was thick, pale and doubled in volume.
  • Sifted in 50g buckwheat flour and folded in as lightly as possible.
  • Stirred in 60g chopped walnuts as lightly as possible.
  • Folded in the chocolate mixture until just incorporated.
  • Poured into a 22cm (9″) sq cake mould and scattered 20g chopped walnuts over the top.
  • Baked at 180C for 17 minutes. Left to go cold then cut into 16 squares.
These were not like your average brownie; they were very light and quite delicate. Despite the reduced amount of sugar compared to most brownies, Claire was right: these tasted sweet and delicious.

As well as the honey and spice cakes I’ve already blogged about, I also made Blackcurrant Bakewell Slices and Date and Rum Slices. The piece de resistance which I will post about later was this lime and pistachio birthday cake. CT got into the spirit of thing and drew appropriately illustrated labels for each bake. We all had a deal of fun on the night including a Beetle Drive and lots of dancing.

The final bake I took along were these Japanese green tea Madeleines which CT refers to as Matcheleines and which I based on my chocolate chilli Madeleines. As some of you will have gathered by now, I am a big fan of using matcha in baking. It works particularly well, not only giving an interesting colour, but adding great flavour too. They were as good as I was hoping they might be; CT would have happily demolished the lot given half the chance. There were certainly none left at the end of the evening. Perhaps I should have made crepes as my friend is actually Breton.

This is how I made:

Matcha Madeleines (Matcheleines)

• Melted 75g unsalted butter gently in a small pan then set aside to cool.
  • Whisked 2 duck eggs and 75g golden caster sugar together for quite a long time it seemed, using electric beaters. Whisked until the mixture had trebled in volume and was pale and thick.
  • Sifted in 90g flour (half spelt, half white), 1 tbsp matcha (Japanese powdered green tea) and 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Folded this in as gently as possible trying not to lose too much air from the eggs.
  • Poured the butter in down one side of the bowl and folded this in until just incorporated.
  • Placed 1 tbsp of the mixture into each of 16 Madeleine moulds.
  • Baked for 10 minutes at 200C until well risen and firm to the touch.
  • Turned out onto a wire rack to cool.
  • Dusted with caster sugar.

As Madeleines are a classic French bake (mais peut etre pas normalment avec le matcha), I am entering them into Tea Time Treats where the theme this month is French tarts, cakes bakes and pastries – ooh la la. Hosted this month with Karen of Lavender and Lovage, the challenge is co-hosted by Kate of What Kate Baked.

These also fit nicely into Bloggers Around the World where Chris has chosen Japan for this month’s national cuisine. Matcha is the taste of Japan for CT who drank it zealously whilst he was there.

I’m also entering the brownies into Choc Full Easter over at Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey an Easter event celebrating ….. chocolate of course!

1. belleau kitchen

28th March 2013 at 12:22 pm

oooh, the madeleines look so interesting and I love their colour!… also love your tiered cake stand too… and your friend was so right, it’s lovely to see so many cakes that aren’t cupcakes, which must surely have had their day now?… lovely bake x

2. Christian Halfmann

28th March 2013 at 4:44 pm

Lovely indeed! Dom is right, the tiered cake stand is a good one … so is of course everything on it. Great you are joining on our Japan trip with your lovely coloured maadeleines.

3. Susan Lindquist

28th March 2013 at 5:30 pm

I am loving the look of those brownies and how interesting are the macha madeleines! Cooking with tea is something new to me and it intrigues me so!

4. Katie

28th March 2013 at 6:40 pm

What a lot of tasty treats! I bet people can’t wait for you to turn up at parties if you bring yummy things like all this!
    Love the sound of the blackberry bakewell slice

5. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

28th March 2013 at 11:42 pm

A lovely selection of bakes, and with some intriguing flavours. Love the. Brownies, but they all look so good, I’m not sure what I’d have first! 🙂

6. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons

29th March 2013 at 11:56 am

Matchaleines? LOVE it, Choclette. Too funny – asked to bring something but not cupcakes? Hehe. Beautifully done.

7. Charlotte Charlotte'sKitchenDiary

29th March 2013 at 3:02 pm

What a lucky friend you have – these all look delectable. I love the sound of the Bakewell slices in particular!

8. Jagruti

29th March 2013 at 4:07 pm

Delicious bakes…tempting ! Thank you for linking them on my event..

9. Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand

31st March 2013 at 5:35 am

Love the authentic flavour in the Madeleines. I’ve only ever tried baking coconut or vanilla flavoured ones. The pistachio and lime cakes sounds equally indulgent and I love your spin on the classic Bakewell tart.I’m sure your friend was very grateful!

10. Karen S Booth

31st March 2013 at 8:37 am

I LOVE both of the bakes and what a FAB entry into Tea Time Treats this month too! Thanks so much for entering with such a unique recipe, as always! Karen

11. Caroline

31st March 2013 at 9:40 pm

What a lovely array of cakes and slices, I hope you had a great time at your friend’s birthday!

12. Anonymous

1st April 2013 at 9:54 am

We were the lucky recipients of this cookery of colourful and delicious cakes. These were to celebrate my entry in a new decade. My first taste was of la petite madeleine au thé vert. As for Proust this unlocked memories of my French childhood. The birthday cake, at first untouchable with its standing chocolate slabs, astonished us with its exotic colours and tastes. We now see Choclette in the Western Morning News with a chocolate expert. When will we see Choclette feted similarly for her creativity and skill?

13. Solange Berchemin

1st April 2013 at 10:33 am

Love the name. Wonder if France is ready for it or would it be a case of “ils sont fous ces anglais”

• Anonymous

1st April 2013 at 8:04 pm

Les français might well smile to start with. But once they have admired the perfect madeleine shape and had their taste buds working, they will not resist it. They will applaud ‘bravo les anglais’ et ‘bravo Choclette’ !

14. Hasna

7th April 2013 at 1:56 pm

wow…thats so gud and tempting

Ongoing Event- Mummy Ka Magic