Raspberry & Rose Curd Cupcakes
Having seen some lovely looking raspberry curd over at the HungryHinny back along, I was determined to make some as soon as possible and as it happened just in time to use in cakes for my birthday tea. I had some rose sugar just waiting to be used and some local raspberries – raspberries and rose are a heavenly combination.
This is what I did to make the raspberry & rose curd:
- Squished 200g of raspberries in a bowl & placed this over a pan of simmering water.
- Added 150g rose sugar – complete with rose petals.
- Grated in the zest of an organic lemon.
- Squeezed in the lemon juice.
- Blitzed with a stick blender.
- Added 60g unsalted butter and stirred until melted.
- Whisked in 2 duck eggs (equivalent to 2 large hens eggs).
- Stirred over the heat for a good twenty minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Sieved mixture and poured into two sterilised jars.
- used rose sugar rather than cardamom sugar in the cake batter.
- creamed the butter & sugar then beat in the melted white chocolate.
- substituting the curd for raspberry rather than apricot, both in the batter and the mascarpone topping.
- swirled the curd through the batter rather than layering it in the middle.