Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream
When Kavey announced that her Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream challenge this month was for chocolate, how could I not enter? Making ice-cream without an ice-cream maker is not my favourite activity, but after the success I’d had with my chilli chocolate ice-cream a few months ago, I was willing to give it another go. Decision made, I turned immediately to Ben Vear’s Make your own organic ice-cream to see what other chocolate delights he had waiting in store for me to try. Ah ha, a recipe for chocolate brownie ice-cream.
First thing to do was make some brownies then. I used this recipe for almond toffee brownies using 85% dark chocolate (G&B) and instead of using 3 eggs yolks, I used 1 duck egg yolk and 1 whole duck egg. Oh, a handful of chopped walnuts were also thrown in. I slightly overcooked the brownies, so they went crunchy rather than toffee like, but were certainly not cakey. This suited me fine as I thought the crunchy texture would go well with the smooth ice-cream.
This is how I made the ice-cream:
- Placed a medium pan over a low heat and poured in 200ml double cream and 200ml milk.
- Added 75g caster sugar and 80g 85% dark chocolate (G&B).
- Whisked 1 duck egg in a bowl with 75g caster sugar until thick and pale.
- Poured the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisked until all incorporated.
- Returned the mixture to the pan and stirred over a low heat for about 15 minutes until the mixture had turned to custard, ie thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Poured into a plastic container and placed in the freezer for an hour.
- Removed from the freezer and blended thoroughly with a stick blender to prevent ice crystals forming.
- Returned to the freezer.
- Repeated this process twice more.
- Stirred in 1 large brownie cut into small pieces (about 100g).
- Left to freeze completely.
If ice-cream is your thing, I suggest you have a look at the Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream round-ups on Kavey’s blog Kavey Eats – you’ll see some fabulous creations.