Strawberry and Chocolate Hearts
Three weeks late in the posting this one!
I had strawberries, I had mascarpone, I had two little heart shaped cake moulds to use and I was in the mood for pink. It was also going to be my initial stab at We Should Cocoa and given that I wasn’t very happy with my Fairy Cakes, I might be naughty and put this one in too. For the cake I used the recipe from Baked & Delicious that came with these moulds. For the Strawberry Cream, I threw a few delicious ingredients together which I thought would work well – and they did.
This is what I did:
- Creamed 50g unsalted butter with 50g molasses sugar until pale.
- Beat in 1 small duck egg and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
- Sifted in 100g wholemeal spelt, 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1.5 tbsp of cocoa.
- Mixed this in with 2 tbsp milk.
- Divided the mixture between 2 xxxx heart shaped moulds and baked at 180C for 12 mins.
- Turned out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Blitzed some strawberries with a little caster sugar until I had a smooth red sauce.
- Whisked a bit of double cream until soft peaks formed, then whisked in some of the strawberry sauce.
- Beat some mascarpone with some of the strawberry sauce until well incorporated and slightly runny.
- Whisked this into the double cream until it was firm enough to spread over the cakes and stay put.
- Spread strawberry cream over one cake, laid the other one on top and covered with some more of the strawberry cream. Quartered two strawberries and placed these on top of the cake – hoping this might look a little more elegant than the Fol-de-rol (I haven’t forgotten that comment Dom).
- Tried not to polish off the rest of the cream – there was quite a bit left over!
In retrospect I would have used a little more mixture to make for a taller cake, so 75g of butter, sugar and flour and a large egg, but otherwise I was very happy with this. CT was happier still as he wasn’t expecting such a show of affection. The strawberry mascarpone cream was sooooo delicious – it was surprisingly light as well as creamy and tasted a bit like Angel Delight, only not as artificial and not as sweet. A sure fire winner I will be making again.
- Watermelon and coconut ice-lollies for Tu B'Av - the Jewish festival of love - Family-Friends-Food - […] hearts – only 3 ingredients required Or here are some ideas from other food bloggers: Strawberry & chocolate hearts…