Chocolate and Cinnamon Eve’s Pudding
After reviving Eve’s pudding and realising what I’ve been missing all these years, what could I do but try a chocolate version. This is what I did:
- Peeled, cored and sliced 4 cooking apples (unknown Cornish variety from my mother’s garden)
- De-husked 100g ground cherries.
- Mixed these in a baking dish with 1 heaped tbsp demerara sugar, 1 tbsp honey, a dash of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Placed in the oven, 175C, to soften for about 15 mins.
- Melted 2oz unsalted butter with 50g dark 70% chocolate
- Beat in 2oz dark brown sugar.
- Mixed 1.5 oz spelt wholemeal flour with 1.5 oz polenta in a bowl.
- Added 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in the chocolate mixture.
- Added 1 duck egg and stirred.
- Beat in 170g 0% fat Greek yogurt
- Spooned this onto the softened fruit and baked for 20 minutes until the top was well risen and looked done.
The chocolate sponge rose really well – it must have been the addition of yogurt. It went very nicely with the apple and ground cherries and made a most appetising dessert. Sadly we had no clotted cream this time, but I guess … too much of a good thing and all that! Substituting cinnamon for the lemon flavour and adding chocolate gave it a more wintery cosy feel, which was just right for the cold day. CT thought he preferred this version, although was very happy to demolish either.