Chocolate & Peppermint Cupcakes
Finally I have got around to making a recipe from the Primrose Bakery book. I bought this sometime ago (well before Christmas in fact) and it’s been sitting by my bed, much read but little used – until now! Of course I couldn’t bring myself to follow the recipe to the letter; I’ve really liked how cakes have been turning out since using the Greek yogurt, so some of that had to go in for sure. To balance this inclusion, I substituted the milk with water and used less of it. I also used the same method I did for the white chocolate & passionfruit cupcakes rather than the more involved one from the book – I was in a hurry.
- Melted 100g 85% dark chocolate with 85g unsalted butter.
- Stirred in 175g soft brown sugar.
- Beat in 2 duck eggs.
- Sifted in 185g flour (1/3 wholemeal, 1/3 white, 1/3 buckwheat), 3/4 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp bicarb of soda, a pinch of salt and 2 heaped tsp cocoa.
- Stirred in 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (TOTAL 0%), 1 tsp vanilla extract and 150ml water.
- Filled 12 cupcake cases up to 2/3 full and then divided remaining mixture between 2×4″ mini cake thingies – thought I would use those for something slightly different.
- Creamed 50g unsalted butter with 100g sifted icing sugar.
- Beat in a tbsp milk & 1 drop peppermint essential oil.
- Spread this on top of cupcakes and decorated each with a peppermint cream.