Have made these flapjacks two days running now. Yesterday, some energy bars were needed to feed the workers and today we are off on a picnic – hummm – weather looking decidedly drizzly, so might end up as a picnic in the car! Plans set in motion now, so proceed we will, rain or no rain.
- Melted 5oz unsalted butter with 2 tbsp runny honey in a large pan.
- To this mixed in: 8oz rolled oats, pinch of salt, 2.5oz demerara sugar, 2oz mixed chopped nuts and 50g of dark chocolate cut into chunks.
- Spread this into a buttered 8” by 10” baking tin and baked for 17 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
- Left to go cold then cut into 12 squares.
- Melted 100g unsalted butter with 100g 85% dark chocolate and 100g muscovado sugar in a small pan.
- Mashed 200g cooked beetroot.
- Sifted 100g plain flour (wholemeal spelt) into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Mixed in 100g ground almonds.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in chocolate mixture.
- Mixed this together with 4 duck eggs and beetroot.
- Spooned this into 9″ square cake thingie and baked for 20 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
- When cool cut into 16 squares.
Green & Black’s being my favourite brand of good quality but affordable chocolate, I was devastated when it was taken over by Cadbury’s. I am not a huge fan of multi-nationals.
I’ve been given a most fantastic present by a lovely and newly wedded friend. The fact that it was her wedding and I was given the present was a little odd, but I wasn’t going to say no. A glass cake stand with dome which I have long been wanting – fantastic! Of course I had to make something right away to show it off, but what? The answer came via an e-mail from a friend wanting the recipe to a chocolate beetroot cake I’d made a couple of years ago. What a good idea. Why didn’t I think of that? One of the crops we’ve managed to grow really well this year is beetroot with the resulting “what else can I make with beetroot?” kind of mutterings. I used the Green and Black’s recipe that I used last time, but with less sugar.
- Cooked a large beetroot, then peeled and mashed it.
- Melted 4.5 oz butter with 100g bar 85% dark chocolate and 6oz dark brown sugar.
- Sieved 10oz flour (5oz wholemeal spelt, 4oz gluten free flour (as had run out of white spelt) and 1oz quinoa flour)), 1 tbsp cocoa and 2 level tsp baking powder into a bowl and made a well in the centre.
- Poured chocolate mixture into the flour and mixed in together with 3 large eggs (1 duck & 2 chicken as I’d run out of duck eggs).
- Mixed in beetroot and spooned into a 23cm cake thingy.
- Baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 30 mins.
- When cooled placed on new cake stand then sifted with 1 tsp of icing sugar.